Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't guess a runner out...wrong?

ASA Men's 12'' sp. 1 man ump mechanics
Runner on 1st. No outs.

Batter hits a laser to the pitcher, who catches in in air. Out 1. Runner takes off to second, on contact, no tag. The pitcher slings the ball to the 1st basemen, who isn't on the bag, and swipes at the runner returning to first. I am running towards the 'c' position to get a good angle, but I didn't get in position in time to see the tag. It looks like there was a missed tag, as there was no sound of a tag, nor did the arm of the 1st baseman slow down as if he made some type of contact. The runner was in between me, and the 1st basemen, who was trying the tag from the outfield side of the runner, if that makes sense.

I did not clearly see a tag, so I call the runner safe upon his return to first. They appeal, but I deny the appeal since it was my judgement call.

How should I have handled the situation, and how could I have been in better position to see the tag?
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post
Runner on 1st. No outs.

Batter hits a laser to the pitcher, who catches in in air. Out 1. Runner takes off to second, on contact, no tag. The pitcher slings the ball to the 1st basemen, who isn't on the bag, and swipes at the runner returning to first. I am running towards the 'c' position to get a good angle, but I didn't get in position in time to see the tag.
You were going where? The "c" position is that which is often considered that behind the SS. I doubt that is where you mean to have been heading. Are you referring to the 'c' ASA uses in their one-umpire diagram?

Quote:
It looks like there was a missed tag, as there was no sound of a tag, nor did the arm of the 1st baseman slow down as if he made some type of contact. The runner was in between me, and the 1st basemen, who was trying the tag from the outfield side of the runner, if that makes sense.

I did not clearly see a tag, so I call the runner safe upon his return to first. They appeal, but I deny the appeal since it was my judgement call.
What are they appealing? Since you ruled the runner safe, I have to assume he reached the base safely.

Quote:
How should I have handled the situation, and how could I have been in better position to see the tag?
Sounds like you did the best you can. You got out from behind the plate to get the best look you could under the circumstances.

And if the players made the correct play and just tagged the base, it would have probably been a no brainer.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Eh....c isn't probably right then. I stepped to the left of the plate and then into the infield in front of the pitchers circle.

They appealed that they got the tag, or rather, argued that they got it.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2013, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post
Runner on 1st. No outs.

Batter hits a laser to the pitcher, who catches in in air. Out 1. Runner takes off to second, on contact, no tag. The pitcher slings the ball to the 1st basemen, who isn't on the bag, and swipes at the runner returning to first. I am running towards the 'c' position to get a good angle, but I didn't get in position in time to see the tag. It looks like there was a missed tag, as there was no sound of a tag, nor did the arm of the 1st baseman slow down as if he made some type of contact. The runner was in between me, and the 1st basemen, who was trying the tag from the outfield side of the runner, if that makes sense.

You called the play correctly based on all of the information that you had available to you. I would have called the same situation the same way since I have had that play before in a 1 man system. If you can't see the tag is made, then the runner can't be considered tagged out. It is a drawback of the 1 umpire system.

My game the team decided to continue arguing the call to the Rec office the following Monday. The response was simple. If you would like to double how much the teams pay to participate in the league, then we will use two umpires, until then, they are doing the best they can.

The funniest part, they brought a video of the play saying it clearly showed a tag. I got to see the video, and you could clearly see they missed the tag on video.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2013, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

You cannot call what you did not see...there is nothing wrong with offering a quick statement to the effect that you were blocked from viewing and cannot see through bodies, it happens in one-man on occasion no matter how much you try to hustle to get in position to make the right call.

Now, if you are not getting out from behind the plate, you're credibility will be shot and you will get lots of flack from the players. SP doesn't have to be "wreck ball" all the time and quite honestly, I rarely have any issues and enjoy working it. It helps sharpen my game management and people skills in dealing with even the most obnoxious of players from time to time, I believe it is due to my vigilance in hustling, rules knowledge, appearance, and professional demeanor.