The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post

Do yourself and the OP a favor, do a search here or on any forum. Nearly all these SP adult baby behavior posts are ASA games, plain and simple. If you want to help the ASA and the OP, man up and answer his question directly, not hide to comment on mine. OP is wearing ASA blue, is 70yo calling single man, and came here for help, because quite honestly, he probably ain't getting it where he calls his own ASA assoc home.
Around these parts, local league play has been USSSA for two decades now. As many know, I gave up calling SP a few years back because I basically had to choose between SP and FP strictly from a time perspective. The choice for me was easy. I had no desire to work AA softball where they whined constantly, where beer was allowed in the dugout (private park) and where by the third game of the evening you had to have your ejection signal working overtime because the drunks suddenly became supermen in their eyes. Are you going to hold USSSA responsible for this???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Nah, I'm not blaming the ASA for adult childish behavior. That is inherently built into the the game and modern society. But utrip is openly and blatantly pro SP player. You seldom hear of a any utrip guys coming to umpire forums lamenting about cry babies and ejections, because the umpires are the players. I haven't been over to softballfans for sometime, they might lament a bit there, but my guess is nowhere as much as ASA umps here.

But in city rec leagues for SP, if it is still ASA unformed umpires, the only relationship ASA wants is the fees it charges to umpires, players and league to register and insure, and bat checks for liability. Its only obligation to the umpire is covering injury and assault. Most localities wised up and either went utrip or plain blue and self insurance or W2 status. Utrip was a solution to the problem, not the problem. Utrip was an alternative and a way out of ASA auspices which provided basically nothing but rules for mandatory tribute.

If you are an ASA umpire in a local rec league wearing ASA, good luck, because you are on your own. And what surprises me is that these umpires seek forums to find support, and still don't get any straight answers from many of the staunch ASA members here. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Around these parts, local league play has been USSSA for two decades now. As many know, I gave up calling SP a few years back because I basically had to choose between SP and FP strictly from a time perspective. The choice for me was easy. I had no desire to work AA softball where they whined constantly, where beer was allowed in the dugout (private park) and where by the third game of the evening you had to have your ejection signal working overtime because the drunks suddenly became supermen in their eyes. Are you going to hold USSSA responsible for this???
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nah, I'm not blaming the ASA for adult childish behavior. That is inherently built into the the game and modern society. But utrip is openly and blatantly pro SP player. You seldom hear of a any utrip guys coming to umpire forums lamenting about cry babies and ejections, because the umpires are the players. I haven't been over to softballfans for sometime, they might lament a bit there, but my guess is nowhere as much as ASA umps here.

But in city rec leagues for SP, if it is still ASA unformed umpires, the only relationship ASA wants is the fees it charges to umpires, players and league to register and insure, and bat checks for liability. Its only obligation to the umpire is covering injury and assault. Most localities wised up and either went utrip or plain blue and self insurance or W2 status. Utrip was a solution to the problem, not the problem. Utrip was an alternative and a way out of ASA auspices which provided basically nothing but rules for mandatory tribute.

If you are an ASA umpire in a local rec league wearing ASA, good luck, because you are on your own. And what surprises me is that these umpires seek forums to find support, and still don't get any straight answers from many of the staunch ASA members here. Go figure.
But USSSA required my money ($10.00 more per year) as "tribute," required that I have both the red shirts and the navy shirts (plus they have many other colors), that I wore their uniform, (black AND grey pants as well), and that I was insured through them. Or at least the affiliation for the local league required that. Not sure that I am getting this difference you are speaking of.....seems a bit of the pot calling the kettle if you ask me.

Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with your problem, because that is your problem.

The OP has a problem, he's ASA, and he is babysitting while wearing ASA blue, not USSSA red. Like you, I don't call slowpitch, neither ASA nor utrip. What I am telling him is that the ASA is his problem, he is on his own. If that bothers you, you might be part of the problem unless you can enlighten and convince him otherwise. Good luck expounding the virtues.

The ASA uniform an empty and spineless brand. That's something the OP has to come to terms, and denying it or changing the subject might help you, but not him. What is obvious is that he didn't come posting to get sugar coated by talking heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
But USSSA required my money ($10.00 more per year) as "tribute," required that I have both the red shirts and the navy shirts (plus they have many other colors), that I wore their uniform, (black AND grey pants as well), and that I was insured through them. Or at least the affiliation for the local league required that. Not sure that I am getting this difference you are speaking of.....seems a bit of the pot calling the kettle if you ask me.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Over the last 15 years I've paid tribute to many overlords (NSA, ASA, USSSA, Fed, both state and national, and a variety of locals. The letters that they went by meant nothing. It was the people who ran the organization that dictated whether I was supported or not. In my little piece of the world ASA isn't very strong but drive 100 miles south and it's the go to organization. It's people, not letters, that make the difference.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The OP has a problem, he's ASA, and he is babysitting while wearing ASA blue, not USSSA red. Like you, I don't call slowpitch, neither ASA nor utrip. What I am telling him is that the ASA is his problem, he is on his own. If that bothers you, you might be part of the problem unless you can enlighten and convince him otherwise. Good luck expounding the virtues.

The ASA uniform an empty and spineless brand. That's something the OP has to come to terms, and denying it or changing the subject might help you, but not him. What is obvious is that he didn't come posting to get sugar coated by talking heads.
Well, you don't hold back, you go all out and give us 100% of your ignorance. Granted, you are permitted your opinion. It is ill-informed opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How convenient, but I don't buy it. Its either ASA sanctioned or its not, and you talking out of both sides of your mouth on behalf of the OP as to which is not helping.
Wow. I was going to try to be polite... but I will fail. You're an idiot.

ALL adult softball is like this. ASA sanctioned... USSSA sanctioned... Dixie sanctioned... it doesn't matter. Unless the LOCAL LEAGUE has a firm handle on this nonsense (and it rarely does), this is completely typical of adult slow pitch softball. Calling this an ASA problem is simply asinine.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md longhorn View Post
wow. I was going to try to be polite... But i will fail. You're an idiot.

All adult softball is like this. Asa sanctioned... Usssa sanctioned... Dixie sanctioned... It doesn't matter. Unless the local league has a firm handle on this nonsense (and it rarely does), this is completely typical of adult slow pitch softball. Calling this an asa problem is simply asinine.
+1
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I agree, its the people.

The ASA heads have dropped the ball in so many ways, its amazing they can't seem to come to terms to change. No other organization has squandered their goodwill and stronghold more than the ASA. The proof is all the other organizations that have risen where the ASA failed to meet expectations.

ASA registration may still be a requirement to stay relevant in softball, but that day seems to be coming to an end. Most of the partners I crew with have abandoned their ASA gear and affiliation in distain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Over the last 15 years I've paid tribute to many overlords (NSA, ASA, USSSA, Fed, both state and national, and a variety of locals. The letters that they went by meant nothing. It was the people who ran the organization that dictated whether I was supported or not. In my little piece of the world ASA isn't very strong but drive 100 miles south and it's the go to organization. It's people, not letters, that make the difference.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe anything I would have to say in response to this has already been said by several others, so I won't be redundant.

Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, didn't think this would generate a "word war" between ASA and other assocations. It really has nothing to do with any association. It's as a poster said, it's Rec ball run by City rec department that chooses to us ASA rules and their base and adds their own rules as the managers agree to.

I got my answer and I really appreciate it. I think I did correct and let the city take care of the problem.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

It really isn't ASA vs the world. All softball umpires owe our roots to ASA. But that is where most of the commonality ends. There are huge divides and differences between the old and the new, blue and red, the good and the bad, even men and women. Those feuds are inherent and ongoing, only the players have changed. Some welcome the changes, and others fight it bitterly.

The real question is, did your own peers, other ASA umpires back you or leave you to fend yourself? If so, why consult total strangers on a forum for validation? Some posters will never see past their keystrokes to ask that in sympathy. But answer that for yourself, and you will know if the ASA stands with you or not when you need them the most.

Your instinct was correct. If support from your peers was absent or distant that led you to question yourself, leave them. Run, don't walk, and go anywhere but stay.

The rest was just petty flame war BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Wow, didn't think this would generate a "word war" between ASA and other assocations. It really has nothing to do with any association. It's as a poster said, it's Rec ball run by City rec department that chooses to us ASA rules and their base and adds their own rules as the managers agree to.

I got my answer and I really appreciate it. I think I did correct and let the city take care of the problem.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to apologize for allowing my personal self to override my mod self when calling out the previous poster as an idiot. I disagree with his singling out any particular entity as the problem with adult softball - but the name calling was beneath me.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'd like to apologize for allowing my personal self to override my mod self when calling out the previous poster as an idiot. I disagree with his singling out any particular entity as the problem with adult softball - but the name calling was beneath me.
MD,
Welcome to my level. I regularly remove one foot from my mouth and insert the other.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Serving in multiple affiliations is really no big deal IMO, I work Baseball, Fastpitch, and SP.

Sure I have a rainbow of shirt colors on the USSSA side but that adds many options for me and my partner(s) in baseball and fastpitch that I welcome (Navy, Red, Black, Powder, Pink, Camo, Cream, and White). The SP side goes with Red or Black usually.

I can work one USSSA tournament and make my $400 and I cover the cost of all of my uniform needs for the entire season(s)...work a 2nd tourney and I have enough for all my gear as well. The rest of the season is gravy .

ASA is shrinking here in Michigan while USSSA is booming. However, it has been and will always be "the people" that make the organizations (leagues or tournaments) worthy of my services. I work very hard to maintain my credentials, training, and uniforms which allows me the ability to pick and choose who I work for and when I work as there is plenty of opportunity to do so, you just have to be true to yourself and diligent in your quest to work with those "people" that are deserving of you.