View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
This happened last week. Batter really crowding the plate. When pitcher releases the ball I notice that the batter has set up with her right foot just an inch or so away from the late. Part of the foot in the box, part way out. Pitch comes in out of the zone. I call ball but feel like I'm missing something. Catcher is saying nothing. Next pitch is hit with foot in the same position. Single. End of her at bat.

What about the batter that simply sets up with her foot partially outside the box? ASA rule 7-3-A says feet must be completely within the lines of the box( feet may touch lines but not be outside prior to pitch ). But I'm not clear as to what the effect is. Under 7-3-B effect says umpire will call a strike. But is that just for rule B or also A? What do you call in the situation I described and when do you call it? Before pitch is released? After catcher receives? What about when she hit the ball with foot in that position. Legal unless she starts in that position?
Speaking ASA

Rule 7.3A states that the batter must have both feet either within the lines or on the lines prior to the start of the pitch, as you said.

The effect that you mentioned is for 7.3B. There is no effect for 7.3A because you are supposed to keep them in the box until the start of the pitch. Hold your hand up and tell the batter to get in the box.

You don't have to call anything once the pitch is released when the batter is in the box or on the lines without any part of the foot being outside. It is legal for the batter to have a foot on the line when they hit the ball, but, as Dave mentioned, if they touch the plate at all, they're out.

Just keep them in the box until the pitch and then watch for the leaving of the box on the hit. Easier said than done sometimes.