Thread: Protest Problem
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kssa
Here is the Problem mens slowpitch softball game. The umpire has the wrong count and the batter fouls the ball and is called out (with two strikes the ball must be put in play) a player(not a coach or manager) sitting on the bench runs out and starts going at it with the umpire, the ump throws the player out of the game and the player spits on the ump twice. The player refuses to leave the field (our rule is that any ejected player has to leave the complex) and sits on the bench. The ump lets the game continue with the ejected player still on the bench.The other teams tells the ump that the game is under protest and the ump fails to tell the other manager about the protest. What should we do ??? HELP
Suspend the player and ignore the protest unless the ejected player had some bearing on the game.

If your local rules insist on the ejected player leaving and he refuses to do so, declare a forfeit and move on. Though I wouldn't allow it, the umpire may have actually avoided a larger confrontation by continuing the game.

If it were me, I would have walked to my bag, pulled out my phone and called the police. Spewing bodily fluids on another isn't only uncalled for, but could be a cause for serious medical concerns these days.