The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Right name wrong number!

Championship game during a tournament!!! While keeping the books I notice the wrong batter! While bringing this up to the ump we compared books with the opposing team, they say "sorry wrong number right name"! Which technically to me would be out of order! Number should trump name! Ther name could be joe blow for all I know! Does anyone have any insight! I've looked for rules on this and have found that there is nothing to do other than "trust" the other team is telling the truth! Well this team is not very "trustworthy" they had family of team members honking horns behind the outfield when there girls would hit to distract our fielders! If there's no penalty I see no reason to bring it up to the umpire! Way to stressful!!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

which rule set?

In ASA for example: 'name' over number. (correct the error and move on if the name is correct on the line-up)
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:15pm
Never Stop Learning

What rule set? Different outcome for different rules.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

May I add... scorekeeper should NEVER bring this to the umpire's attention. The coach must be the one doing so. You didn't SAY that, but you implied it and my apologies if I mistook you.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Championship game during a tournament!!! While keeping the books I notice the wrong batter! While bringing this up to the ump we compared books with the opposing team, they say "sorry wrong number right name"! Which technically to me would be out of order! Number should trump name! Ther name could be joe blow for all I know! Does anyone have any insight! I've looked for rules on this and have found that there is nothing to do other than "trust" the other team is telling the truth! Well this team is not very "trustworthy" they had family of team members honking horns behind the outfield when there girls would hit to distract our fielders! If there's no penalty I see no reason to bring it up to the umpire! Way to stressful!!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Although there may be some, I can't think of any rule set that does not say that the number is the final determination of the proper batter. It is always the name that counts, there may be penalties for submitting an improper line-up card, but it is the name of the player that takes precidence.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 01:38pm
Never Stop Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Although there may be some, I can't think of any rule set that does not say that the number is the final determination of the proper batter. It is always the name that counts, there may be penalties for submitting an improper line-up card, but it is the name of the player that takes precidence.
Correct statement. That is why I asked which rule set as there may be other penalties to deal with. It is also true that the coach needs to make this appeal not the score keeper.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 02:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Just to add:

Per ASA 7-2-A, "The batting order shall show the names, first and last, in the order in which the players are scheduled to bat."

Per FED 7-1-1, "Each player of the team at bat shall become the batter and shall take her position within the batter’s box (on either side of home base), in the order in which her name appears on the lineup card as delivered to the umpire and the opposing team prior to the game."

Per NCAA 11.10, "After the first inning, the first (lead-off) batter in each inning shall be the player whose name follows that of the last batter who completed her full turn at bat in the preceding inning."

I'm not sure what other rule sets (e.g., USSSA, NSA, etc. etc.) say, but I couldn't find anything anywhere where the number trumps the name.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Also....

ASA

RULE 4 - PLAYERS, COACHES, SUBSTITUTES
Section 1. PLAYERS.
A. A team must have the required number .of players present in the dugout or
team area to start or continue a game.
1. Line-up cards are to be completed and submitted to the official scorer
and umpire at the start of each game. A starting player shall be official
when the line-up is inspected and approved by the plate umpire and
team manager at the pre-game meeting. The line-up shall contain the
first and last name, defensive position and uniform number of each
player. If a wrong number is on the line-up, correct it and continue
playing with no penalty.
All available substitutes should be listed in the
designated place by their last name, first name and uniform number.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 03:08pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Ther name could be joe blow for all I know! ... I've looked for rules on this and have found that there is nothing to do other than "trust" the other team is telling the truth!
And that's all umpires really can do. We are not required to verify that a player's name on the line-up card is her actual name.

I guess it's not inconceivable that a coach lists "#16, Jane Doe" in the seventh spot in the line-up, #33 comes up to bat when it's Jane's turn, and when questioned, the coach says, "My bad, Blue. This is Jane Doe; I just goofed up her number." But the girl that's batting is really Mary Smith.

Of course, if I hear, "C'mon, Mary, give it a ride!" from the stands, I might start wondering...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm thinking correct ruleset is ASA 6U pixie! Yes I said 6U I have never seen so many rules and competition in such young girls, but we are " the team to beat" so opposing teams are always trying to trip us up on things. We go BY THE BOOK! or try our hardest! i brought it to the coaches attention who relayed to the ump. Who then called up the bookkeepers! Thanks so much for all the advice! I wanted to get ALL my ducks in a row, district is this weekend!
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
family of team members honking horns behind the outfield when there girls would hit to distract our fielders!
Hard to believe that is tolerated.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Hard to believe that is tolerated.
Maybe they will get it out of their systems now so when they get to 10u and 12u they will know how to behave.....

6u???? Seriously??????
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

And now we've heard the rest if the story..

Who's buying?
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:03am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
If I'm thinking correct ruleset is ASA 6U pixie! ... We go BY THE BOOK! or try our hardest!
Funny, I can't seem to find any references to 6U in The Book.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I believe we now know she's in Texas.

Texas has organized ASA 6U, and it is indeed called Pixie... and yes, they pay an umpire.

And there are some upcoming tourneys...
Texas Amateur Softball Association

West Houston Mike