The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question concerning NFHS Rules 3-6-3 and 3-3-8

The play is that a second batter slings their bat wildly but reached base safely. The team had already been warned using Rule 3-6-3. Therefore the batter is now restricted to the dugout. There are not any substitutes to replace her.

The team is now playing short. Can Rule 3-3-8 be used until as a temporary runner to finish the half inning? After this half inning an out will be taken in the line-up order.

Rule 3-6-3 . . . A team member shall not carelessly throw a bat.
PENALTY: The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.

Rule 3-3-8 . . . If a team is playing with 9 (F.P) and there are no available substitutes when a runner advancing on an awarded base or after reaching base is unable to continue:
Art a. The previous batter not on base is allowed to replace that player as a temporary runner until she is put out, scores or the half-inning ends.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 09:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

That's what I would rule. The purpose for 3-3-8 is to replace an injured runner. But there's nothing in the rule that says it cannot be used when a player is restricted to the bench, has to leave the park for a recital, etc etc. Put the previous player in the batting order not on base, and play on.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That's what I would rule. The purpose for 3-3-8 is to replace an injured runner. But there's nothing in the rule that says it cannot be used when a player is restricted to the bench, has to leave the park for a recital, etc etc. Put the previous player in the batting order not on base, and play on.
Even though that is not the intent of the rule, literal reading just says "unable", not why.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 11:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Forgive me since I should know this. But I'm currently on travel and don't have my rule book handy to verify.

What happens when a team has more than 9 players, but none are eligible to legally substitute the player leaving the lineup. Is the team still required to play short-handed? Seems to me that should be the case, but 3-3-8 only mentions the team being down to 9.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forgive me since I should know this. But I'm currently on travel and don't have my rule book handy to verify.

What happens when a team has more than 9 players, but none are eligible to legally substitute the player leaving the lineup. Is the team still required to play short-handed? Seems to me that should be the case, but 3-3-8 only mentions the team being down to 9.
Then are there any "available substitutes" (wording in the rule cited)? If not eligible, how are they available?
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 03:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Then are there any "available substitutes" (wording in the rule cited)? If not eligible, how are they available?
That's why i asked the question. Seems to me that 3-3-8 shouldn't even bother to mention anything about 9 players. It should apply anytime there are no available substitutes.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why i asked the question. Seems to me that 3-3-8 shouldn't even bother to mention anything about 9 players. It should apply anytime there are no available substitutes.
IMO, that language is so it is understood that isn't an option if already playing with 8 (shorthanded).