The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Question concerning NFHS Rules 3-6-3 and 3-3-8 (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94851-question-concerning-nfhs-rules-3-6-3-3-3-8-a.html)

Tex Sun Apr 21, 2013 05:10pm

Question concerning NFHS Rules 3-6-3 and 3-3-8

The play is that a second batter slings their bat wildly but reached base safely. The team had already been warned using Rule 3-6-3. Therefore the batter is now restricted to the dugout. There are not any substitutes to replace her.

The team is now playing short. Can Rule 3-3-8 be used until as a temporary runner to finish the half inning? After this half inning an out will be taken in the line-up order.

Rule 3-6-3 . . . A team member shall not carelessly throw a bat.
PENALTY: The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.

Rule 3-3-8 . . . If a team is playing with 9 (F.P) and there are no available substitutes when a runner advancing on an awarded base or after reaching base is unable to continue:
Art a. The previous batter not on base is allowed to replace that player as a temporary runner until she is put out, scores or the half-inning ends.

Manny A Mon Apr 22, 2013 09:50am

That's what I would rule. The purpose for 3-3-8 is to replace an injured runner. But there's nothing in the rule that says it cannot be used when a player is restricted to the bench, has to leave the park for a recital, etc etc. Put the previous player in the batting order not on base, and play on.

CecilOne Tue Apr 23, 2013 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 891696)
That's what I would rule. The purpose for 3-3-8 is to replace an injured runner. But there's nothing in the rule that says it cannot be used when a player is restricted to the bench, has to leave the park for a recital, etc etc. Put the previous player in the batting order not on base, and play on.

Even though that is not the intent of the rule, literal reading just says "unable", not why.

Manny A Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01am

Forgive me since I should know this. But I'm currently on travel and don't have my rule book handy to verify.

What happens when a team has more than 9 players, but none are eligible to legally substitute the player leaving the lineup. Is the team still required to play short-handed? Seems to me that should be the case, but 3-3-8 only mentions the team being down to 9.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Apr 23, 2013 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 891886)
Forgive me since I should know this. But I'm currently on travel and don't have my rule book handy to verify.

What happens when a team has more than 9 players, but none are eligible to legally substitute the player leaving the lineup. Is the team still required to play short-handed? Seems to me that should be the case, but 3-3-8 only mentions the team being down to 9.

Then are there any "available substitutes" (wording in the rule cited)? If not eligible, how are they available?

Manny A Tue Apr 23, 2013 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 891926)
Then are there any "available substitutes" (wording in the rule cited)? If not eligible, how are they available?

That's why i asked the question. Seems to me that 3-3-8 shouldn't even bother to mention anything about 9 players. It should apply anytime there are no available substitutes.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Apr 23, 2013 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 891929)
That's why i asked the question. Seems to me that 3-3-8 shouldn't even bother to mention anything about 9 players. It should apply anytime there are no available substitutes.

IMO, that language is so it is understood that isn't an option if already playing with 8 (shorthanded).