The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Umpire assaulted over walk up song

Saw this on news this morning. Seriously, over a walk up song????

azcentral.com video: Goodyear baseball player investigated for assault
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Saw this on news this morning. Seriously, over a walk up song????

azcentral.com video: Goodyear baseball player investigated for assault
"Seriously" in what context? Are you suggesting the umpire shouldn't have said/done anything about it? Or are you saying that the kid was a moron for doing what he allegedly did?

I did a varsity game last night, and during the pre-game bat checks, the pressbox was playing the explicit version of the Maroon 5 song "Payphone." I was rather surprised, but I let it go. Wondering if I should have said something to the home team's head coach.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

As in a kid going after an umpire over a song. Some of the crap these kids listen to is pretty explicit and has no business being played on a PA system in public. For that matter, a kid going after an umpire for any reason what so ever. I hope he is banned from ever playing school ball again.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Some rule sets have limits on when walk-up music can be played. The umpire can deal with this.

None regulate what may be played. This is up to game management to regulate. It's out of your area of jurisdiction as an umpire. If you have an opinion, share it with game management after the game - not the player, especially during the game.

The report is about the result of the discussion, but not the discussion itself. Yes, the kid overreacted. But to what? There are no innocents here.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

If I am ever 'concerned' about what is being played/said over a P.A. system, that is only for me to tell the administrator on duty, and let him/her handle it. The P.A. (like the fans in the stands) are not 'between the lines' and I have no bushiness dealing with this directly. Let the Administrator be aware of the situation and let them handle it.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

FED a couple of years ago, at least in softball, did issue a directive about music being played. Have not been able to find the wording yet, but had to do with being intimidating etc. So there is basis for the umpire taking action with regard to the music.

The report says there was an interaction between the umpire and the player, it does not state who initiated it. The umpire may never have said a word to the player in trying to get the music stopped, it may have been the player who took exception and confronted the umpire.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Are you suggesting the umpire shouldn't have said/done anything about it? Or are you saying that the kid was a moron for doing what he allegedly did?
I would say both are true. The umpire shouldn't have said or done anything about it. The umpire has no grounds for inserting himself here.

However, as wrong as he was, the rest of this is 100% the kid's fault and I hope he's done for a good long time.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:36am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
FED a couple of years ago, at least in softball, did issue a directive about music being played. Have not been able to find the wording yet, but had to do with being intimidating etc. So there is basis for the umpire taking action with regard to the music.
It was in the 2011 POEs:

SPORTSMANSHIP. The NFHS disapproves of any form of behavior intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others. There have been instances noted nationally of the Public Address (PA) system being utilized to intimidate or “taunt” the visiting team by playing negative sound effects when specific opponents come to bat or the playing of “motivational” music only for the home team. When the PA system is used for announcements, introductions, sound effects, music, etc., the presentation should be as neutral as possible. Clear guidelines and expectations should be developed by school administrators and shared with the individuals serving in this capacity so presentations are not viewed as acts of intimidation.

As I read it, there shouldn't be any kind of walk-up music unless it's being done for both teams. At least that's how I interpret "playing of 'motivational' music only for the home team." Not sure if NFHS made this across the board for all sports, not just softball, but I would assume that they did.

So, is that something for umpires to police? If we have a responsibility to make sure that there are no possibilities of things escalating to where they can become unsporting, I think it's within our rights to do something about it without going over the top.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that this is not the umpire's purview ... not even close.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:49am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It is my understanding that this is not the umpire's purview ... not even close.
I guess we'll have to A2D.

I think umpires and other sports officials have a fundamental responsibility to prevent things from escalating on the field. Until I see something official from the powers-that-be that says we ignore non-game personnel from doing things that could cause problems, I believe we should nip this in the bud.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I guess we'll have to A2D.
Fair enough, although I'd suggest asking your assignor. Considering you also work college games, I'd think you'd have a better understanding that things occurring outside the fence are generally best handled by someone else entirely. I don't mean this disparagingly, but I honestly can't even begin to imagine a fellow umpire deciding to try to enforce something like this in a high school game. I'd be completely shocked to see a partner doing such a thing.

Take it a step further... given that this part of the rulebook has nothing to do with the actual game... what do you do if the HC will not go talk to the PA announcer (again ... not HIS job either)... or what if he does and the PA guy refuses. What penalty are you going to invoke?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

It is absurd for the umpire to open his mouth on the field. Just because he finds it offensive, doesn't mean anyone else may.

If he wants to write up a report to the school/league/conference/AIA, fine, do that. But that is the extent of it and I really don't care what the song or lyrics were, it is none of his business.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
it is absurd for the umpire to open his mouth on the field. Just because he finds it offensive, doesn't mean anyone else may.

If he wants to write up a report to the school/league/conference/aia, fine, do that. But that is the extent of it and i really don't care what the song or lyrics were, it is none of his business.
+4,363,743,123

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just eject the PA Announcer for the music faux pax...

Umpire Ejects Daytona Cubs Music Man Derek Dye - YouTube
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
(snip)
If he wants to write up a report to the school/league/conference/AIA, fine, do that. But that is the extent of it and I really don't care what the song or lyrics were, it is none of his business.

BINGO
I would think writing a report for actions like this is the only way to handle it...

I haven't been able to view the video, so I haven't seen exactly what happened, but based on the comments, I can guess.
I say this despite the fact that I do seem to remember hearing about an organ player (or music button pusher) that once got thrown out of an MLB game for playing 3 Blind mice...