The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Got to love JV coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94660-got-love-jv-coaches.html)

RKBUmp Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43pm

Got to love JV coaches

Last night, bottom of 7th, home team down 8-6, runner on 1st, 2 outs. Runner stealing on the pitch, batter swings and foul tips ball. I give foul tip signal and the hammer. Runner standing on 2nd, SS has ball after throwdown. Runner steps off bag and starts walking back toward 1st and gets tagged out to end inning. Coach is ticked, says it was foul and runner has to return. I explain it was not foul, it was a foul tip which is live ball, runner stepped off bag and was tagged out. Coach is not happy.

Tonight, runner on 1st stealing on pitch. Batter foul tips it straight back, runner easy stand up into 2nd with no throwdown. I move on around 2nd behind SS, ball is thrown back to pitcher in circle and she is fooling around smoothing out the dirt. All of a sudden runner walks off bag back toward 1st and I call her out for a lookback violation. Here comes coach, that was foul ball. No coach it was a foul tip. But the plate umpire didnt call anything. The plate umpire gave the foul tip signal and the hammer. But he didnt call it foul. Thats because it wasnt foul, it was a live ball. But I told the runner to go back. Gee, Im sorry coach, I guess we should give a mulligan because you told the runner to step off the base?

And best for last, same team tonight. AZ now has a 15 run ahead rule after 3 1/2 innings at the option of the coach who is behind. Middle of the 4th comes around, home coach comes out to my partner and tells him that is game. My partner is befuddled and looks at coach and says that isnt 15 runs. Coach looks at him and says, yes it is, score ia 18-11, 18 is 3 more than the 15 required for the run rule.

And these coaches are also teachers who are teaching our kids?????

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 888791)
And best for last, same team tonight. AZ now has a 15 run ahead rule after 3 1/2 innings at the option of the coach who is behind. Middle of the 4th comes around, home coach comes out to my partner and tells him that is game. My partner is befuddled and looks at coach and says that isnt 15 runs. Coach looks at him and says, yes it is, score ia 18-11, 18 is 3 more than the 15 required for the run rule.

Hey, if the coach wants to go home, I'm not going to tell him/her no. :D

RKBUmp Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:02am

Problem was it was the coach that was winning that wanted to end game. I doubt the other coach would have agreed.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 888811)
Problem was it was the coach that was winning that wanted to end game. I doubt the other coach would have agreed.

I didn't say they get to "win" the game. :rolleyes:

Manny A Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:50am

Quote:

Batter foul tips it straight back...

Ummmm... No, I know you know better. :p

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 03, 2013 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 888821)

What is wrong with his statement? To what do you think you are referring to?

Manny A Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 888824)
What is wrong with his statement? To what do you think you are referring to?

Many non-umpires will call balls that are fouled "straight back" as in "straight back to the backstop" foul tips, which we know they are not.

Besides, all foul tips go straight back into the catcher's hand or mitt. So, technically, his description is a bit redundant.

CecilOne Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 888843)
Many non-umpires will call balls that are fouled "straight back" as in "straight back to the backstop" foul tips, which we know they are not.

Besides, all foul tips go straight back into the catcher's hand or mitt. So, technically, his description is a bit redundant.

And we think Mike is anal. ;)

Rita C Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:10pm

Quote:

Tonight, runner on 1st stealing on pitch. Batter foul tips it straight back, runner easy stand up into 2nd with no throwdown. I move on around 2nd behind SS, ball is thrown back to pitcher in circle and she is fooling around smoothing out the dirt. All of a sudden runner walks off bag back toward 1st and I call her out for a lookback violation. Here comes coach, that was foul ball. No coach it was a foul tip. But the plate umpire didnt call anything. The plate umpire gave the foul tip signal and the hammer. But he didnt call it foul. Thats because it wasnt foul, it was a live ball. But I told the runner to go back. Gee, Im sorry coach, I guess we should give a mulligan because you told the runner to step off the base?

?

I'm not as sure as the others reading this. The catcher did catch the ball, didn't she? It didn't go to the backstop?

I ask because a week ago I worked with an umpire who has been umpiring for a very long time who did not know the ball had to be caught to be a foul tip. I asked him after the game why he signaled foul tip when the ball went to the backstop. He said, "Because it was tipped." I said it had to be caught by the catcher. He frowned and said he would look it up.

Rita

RKBUmp Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:32pm

Yes, catcher caught the ball, if they hadnt it would not be a foul tip. Was not watching words closely enough when writing, will be more diligent in not being redundant and using proper rule wording such as sharply and directly.

HugoTafurst Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 888821)

:rolleyes:Didn't you read the whole description?:rolleyes:

It was pretty clear to me that it WAS a foul tip.

HugoTafurst Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:40pm

Quote:

:rolleyes:Maybe redundant, but certainly not inaccurate.:rolleyes:

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 03, 2013 02:10pm

Quote:

Seriously, no offense, Manny, but "a bit redundant" and "No, I think you know better" don't really jive here. Just admit you misread it when you thought he'd said something incorrect and move on.

Manny A Wed Apr 03, 2013 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 888951)
Seriously, no offense, Manny, but "a bit redundant" and "No, I think you know better" don't really jive here. Just admit you misread it when you thought he'd said something incorrect and move on.

Umm, let me see... Yup, I did use :p after my post. At least that's what I see on my computer. Perhaps it didn't translate to anyone elses?? :rolleyes:

Rita C Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 888982)
Umm, let me see... Yup, I did use :p after my post. At least that's what I see on my computer. Perhaps it didn't translate to anyone elses?? :rolleyes:

Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

I got it.