The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Put the old iron mule (mask) out to pasture tonight.

Wednesday night Woman's FP League, 3 (7 inning) games back-to-back-to-back. Only a short break between games, no time to change. So one does the plate for 3 games, next week has the field for the night.

Tonight was my night behind the plate and I was not looking forward to 4 1/2 hours of that heavy honker pulling down on my head and tangling with my hat, etc. I could have opted for a lighter mask, but I just didn't see enough difference to justify the bucks. Instead I broke with tradition and bought - (gasp) - the hockey style mask!

Did the first game with the iron mule, then switched for the 2nd game. The first thing I noticed was that everything was brighter - the view was so much greater. I also discovered that I was going to have trouble with the setting sun that the hat and mass of the iron mule had previously shielded. It is very light, and comes off easy. It doesn't even come close to conflicting with my glasses (I don't wear sport glasses, just my normal wire frame,large lens glasses.)

When I first tried these on at the stores, I hated them - they just felt so different. Today I didn't even try it on; I was so determined to change that I just bought it and decided to go with it. As soon as I had some pitches comming at me I forgot about the mask and focused on the game. After a couple innings I was so in love with the new mask I knew that I would never go back to the old iron mule.

I am not a trailblazer; a lot of guys I work with in West Michigan already are wearing the hockey mask. How 'bout your area? Anybody switching yet. You?

WMB
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Heck, we can't even get guys around here to wear chest protectors and leg guards for "girls" games. A helmet? Hah! It's just not
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

In Indiana I have seen only 1 guy wear the hockey mask. He swears by it. There was some talk about if it was "approved" for ASA championship play. The UIC at the state tournament (B level) allowed it but he was questioning whether the higher level tourneys (national qualifiers and nationals) would allow it or not. I think the biggest hangup these guys had was no hat, which is a required part of the umpires uniform.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Heck, we can't even get guys around here to wear chest protectors and leg guards for "girls" games. A helmet? Hah! It's just not

I thought no equipment PU's was only a problem in my neck of the woods.

I really wouldn't mind it if they would stay put. Unfortunately they usually either dance, bury themselves behind F2, or gripe about taking one in the shin.

-Kono
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Up North...

here in the Traverse City area, we have one guy that wears that mask.
Most wear the Honigs lightweight single or double bar.
I need to wear a hat because I have long bangs and longish hair. Hat keeps hair out of my eyes and face, so the helmet is probably out for me.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I tried it and I liked it a lot

I made the switch from a traditional mask to the hockey helmet this year, and I've loved it ever since. If you've got long hair, it's probably not gonna be a good fit for you, but I do have short hair, so that's no problem for me.
To me, it's not as hot as a mask and cap. Yes, I still sweat, but I keep a small towel in my ball bag, to wipe the sweat off on, after wicking it away with my index finger.
The only time I take it off is in between innings and if I'm having a discussion with a manager. I make all of my calls at the plate with it on. The visibility is great, and I actually got hit with a couple of bad throws, on plays at the plate, that would have hit me in the head/face, had I been using a mask and cap.
It's worked well for me. I know I've read plenty of dissenting opinions about it, though. To each his/her own.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I wear my old full-strength steel mask and don't have problems with my cap, my neck muscles or foul tips in the face. It's off on every batted ball and every running play. What mine needs is a red/green light, so the pitchers know when I'm finished writing substitutions.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone worn the hockey-style helmet in ASA Nationals?

Does the helmet meet the definition of a "mask" in ASA Rule 10? It would seem both a mask and a hat are required.
Quote:
ASA Rule 10-1C The male and female umpire shall wear ... The approved navy cap ... The plate umpire in fast pitch MUST wear a black mask ...
Since the mask rule goes on to even specify the throat protector & allow a built-in wire protector, it would seem ASA did not visualize the hockey mask when they wrote this rule.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

ASA will approve the helmet mask....

........as soon as the start selling their own version of it, with the ASA logo emblazoned on it.
Until then, I'll just continue to call my local league's games, using my helmet (and not wearing an ASA cap), and when that's over with, I'll move onto baseball.
Their (ASA) state/national tournaments don't appeal much to me anyway, so that's not an obstacle I'll have to deal with.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Has anyone worn the hockey-style helmet in ASA Nationals?

Does the helmet meet the definition of a "mask" in ASA Rule 10? It would seem both a mask and a hat are required.
Quote:
ASA Rule 10-1C The male and female umpire shall wear ... The approved navy cap ... The plate umpire in fast pitch MUST wear a black mask ...
Since the mask rule goes on to even specify the throat protector & allow a built-in wire protector, it would seem ASA did not visualize the hockey mask when they wrote this rule.
One umpire at the ASA Men's 45/over nationals last year wore the helmet/mask combination. He found a way to wear his cap under it, though.

The UIC and the assistant UIC both searched the book for a reason not to let him wear it, but could not come up with anything.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If you want to get a hat under the hockey mask, you can't wear a combo hat. You'll have to go for the short brim plate hat. I know most catalogs, well at least the ones I get don't have a good selection of plate hats in black or navy. Check out this one. http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...uct_Code=BA065
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
In Indiana I have seen only 1 guy wear the hockey mask. He swears by it. There was some talk about if it was "approved" for ASA championship play. The UIC at the state tournament (B level) allowed it but he was questioning whether the higher level tourneys (national qualifiers and nationals) would allow it or not. I think the biggest hangup these guys had was no hat, which is a required part of the umpires uniform.
I use the POS Ultra Light mask and also have a the hocky mask. I was allowed to use the hocky mask at the 14U Pony National's held in Sterling, VA earlier this month. The "no hat" with the helmet keeps me cooler.

Michael
Old Sun Aug 03, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
If you want to get a hat under the hockey mask, you can't wear a combo hat. You'll have to go for the short brim plate hat. I know most catalogs, well at least the ones I get don't have a good selection of plate hats in black or navy. Check out this one. http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...uct_Code=BA065
I don't think the beanie (2-stitch) is allowed any more in any of my codes. The minimum is the 4-stitch.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

more helmet stuff....

A few thoughts from my ASA Metro UIC on the helmet....

1) It brings to much attention on the umpire
2) ASA requires the plate umpire to wear a cap as part of the uniform, you can't wear the cap with the helmet.
3) When the helmet is new or shined, the reflection or glare could be distracting to the pitcher.

As you can probably tell, he is not in favor of allowing the helmet.

I have also heard that Southern California ASA has a written policy that will not allow their umpires to wear the helmet.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Change is never easy, and some things die hard. Remember that not too many years ago we were calling from behind the catcher with the "Pillow" in front of us. I held off for several years before I finally bought my first under-shirt protecter.

As a consultant, and thus an instigator of change to business, I constantly battled the "But we've always done it this way!" cry. I purposely titled this post "Broke with Tradition" because I expected to hear some of the same. But I was also curious as to how many had already beaten me to the new helmet.

There is no question in my mind that the helmet will be the mask of choice for umpires in just a few short years. It is such a superior option that it can not be ignored. Look at the rapid explosion of it's use by catchers. For awhile it was only the girls using it; then the boys started; and now the big boys are using it. They switched for good reason. And we will also. ASA may be dragged kicking and screaming; or ASA may lead the way. But it will be approved.

WMB