The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Can you please help me with these.

1. Last night a game ends in a tie. It goes into extra innings and the visiting team puts their last out on 2nd to start the inning. The home team was playing with 8 players (2. Is this okay also? Can a game be started with only 8 players in ASA?) the last out of the inning before was the automatic out. Does the home team get to put the person before the automatic out on base or do they not get to put a person on 2nd?
3. A ball is hit straight up in the air. The umpire tries to get out of the road of the catcher but actually gets more in the way. The catcher misses the ball but the umpire calls the batter out because he calls interference on himself. I thought the umpire was just part of the field.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballpres33
The home team was playing with 8 players. Is this okay also? Can a game be started with only 8 players in ASA?
Yes, it is OK. The team takes an out when #9 is due up to bat.
Quote:
the last out of the inning before was the automatic out. Does the home team get to put the person before the automatic out on base or do they not get to put a person on 2nd?
The person who goes on base is not actually the "last out" - it is the person who bats before the batter due up. This can be a difference, depending on how the last inning ended. Anyway, if the absent player is the player who should be placed on 2nd, then the team merely places the person who bats before the absent player on. There is no penalty for this.
Quote:
A ball is hit straight up in the air. The umpire tries to get out of the road of the catcher but actually gets more in the way. The catcher misses the ball but the umpire calls the batter out because he calls interference on himself. I thought the umpire was just part of the field.
This was an incorrect ruling. There are only 2 very secific things that are ruled umpire interference, and this play is not one of them. The correct call should have been FOUL BALL or FAIR BALL (depending on where the ball was touched / stopped).
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

"The home team was playing with 8 players (2. Is this okay also? Can a game be started with only 8 players in ASA?)"

A team MUST start with nine (9) players. This game should never have started.

"A ball is hit straight up in the air. The umpire tries to get out of the road of the catcher but actually gets more in the way. The catcher misses the ball but the umpire calls the batter out because he calls interference on himself. I thought the umpire was just part of the field."

The umpire is an idiot, and should not be allowed to work again without being thoroughly trained.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"The home team was playing with 8 players (2. Is this okay also? Can a game be started with only 8 players in ASA?)"

Assuming ASA fastpitch, this is not correct. ASA 4-1D-a and ASA POE 46 both make it clear the team may start with 8.

For slow pitch, a full team is 10, so the team may start with 9.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Did this recently change because I was sure that it use to be that a team had to have 9 to start or has this always been the rule?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did this recently change because I was sure that it use to be that a team had to have 9 to start or has this always been the rule?
It was not a change for 2003, but I think you are correct - 9 used to be required to start. I don't have my older books with me, though, to confirm or refute that or to tell you when it changed.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

"A ball is hit straight up in the air. The umpire tries to get out of the road of the catcher but actually gets more in the way. The catcher misses the ball but the umpire calls the batter out because he calls interference on himself. I thought the umpire was just part of the field."

The umpire is an idiot, and should not be allowed to work again without being thoroughly trained.

Bob
Well, he kicked the rule concerning interference, but at least he properly allowed the game to start. ASA has been using the shorthanded rule for a few years now.

Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Can you please help me with these.

1. Last night a game ends in a tie. It goes into extra innings and the visiting team puts their last out on 2nd to start the inning. The home team was playing with 8 players (2. ... snip ... Does the home team get to put the person before the automatic out on base or do they not get to put a person on 2nd?
... snip ...
The tie-breaker runner is the player schedule to bat last in the inning, no matter how many are in the game. That batter is the one least likely to still be on base when it is their turn to bat.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
It was not a change for 2003, but I think you are correct - 9 used to be required to start. I don't have my older books with me, though, to confirm or refute that or to tell you when it changed.
I think the shorthanded rule was changed about 3 years ago, so my guess is 2000, if it matters.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Nope it wasn't 2000. The rule in the 2000 book (4.1.D.1.a if anyone cares) says: A game may begin or end with one less than the number reuired to play.

SamC
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

If anyone cares, Rule 4 Sec 1-D(1) (2) came into effect
in 99.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.