The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Two Violations in One (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94220-two-violations-one.html)

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 882733)
In your examples, the runner or batter did nothing illegal. I would ask what you would do after an illegal pitch is delivered and an offensive player subsequently violates a rule, such as interferes with a fielder fielding the batted ball. Do you enforce both violations then?

You're asking me what I would do... I would enforce the rules as per this ruling.

Just because I disagree with a ruling doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it on the field.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 882956)
Why? In HS play this is a dead ball.....

Semantically, it should be 'no pitch' - with the EFFECT of a dead ball, no?

At least, here in NY (ASA JO with Jay Miner's variations) it is.

CecilOne Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE (Post 882974)
Jay Miner's variations.

:( :( :rolleyes:

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 882979)
:( :( :rolleyes:

Tell me about it - Jay is the NYSSO Rules Interp - lucky us, huh?

EsqUmp Tue Mar 05, 2013 07:36am

At the time of the double-touch, it is a delayed dead ball because of the illegal pitch. When the runner leaves the base early, the ball is dead.

When an illegal pitch is committed and the batter and all runners do not advance safely one base, then the offensive team has the option to take the result of the play or enforcement of the illegal pitch penalty.

In this case, the result of the play is the runner on 1st base being called out for leaving early. There is no other movement with runners and no thrown pitch. The offense could elect this result. This is the totality of the play.

Or, because not all runners advanced safely, the offense can choose to take the penalty for an illegal pitch. It is a ball on the batter and each runner is advanced one base.

Manny A Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 882973)
You're asking me what I would do... I would enforce the rules as per this ruling.

Just because I disagree with a ruling doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it on the field.

From the tone of your response, I get the impression that you mistook my intent. I was really just asking if enforcing two violations applied to all situations, not just this paticular case play.

Say, for example, the batter swings and hits the catcher's mitt while stroking a ground ball to F6. R1 on second base (only runner) interferes with F6 as she runs to third, and there is no play on the BR. Does the penalty option afforded to the offensive head coach for catcher obstruction allow R1 to return to second and award the BR first base? Or do we still penalize R1 despite the catcher obstruction, rule her out for interference, and put the BR on first?

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 883173)
From the tone of your response, I get the impression that you mistook my intent. I was really just asking if enforcing two violations applied to all situations, not just this paticular case play.

Say, for example, the batter swings and hits the catcher's mitt while stroking a ground ball to F6. R1 on second base (only runner) interferes with F6 as she runs to third, and there is no play on the BR. Does the penalty option afforded to the offensive head coach for catcher obstruction allow R1 to return to second and award the BR first base? Or do we still penalize R1 despite the catcher obstruction, rule her out for interference, and put the BR on first?

Seems to me on the CO, the coach gets the result of the play OR the penalty for the CO. Don't know about half and half, at least, not outside the pub. :D

Manny A Tue Mar 05, 2013 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 883190)
Seems to me on the CO, the coach gets the result of the play OR the penalty for the CO. Don't know about half and half, at least, not outside the pub. :D

So, you're saying that R1's interference of F6 would be ignored if the coach took the CO penalty, and R1 would be returned to second base.

If that's correct, then why the inconsistency? In my OP (which comes from NFHS case play 8.6.21 as BretMan pointed out), both the illegal pitch and the LBE penalties are enforced. Why not enforce both penalties here? Or am I missing something...?

Crabby_Bob Tue Mar 05, 2013 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 883173)

Speaking ASA, we enforce the INT and the CO. 8.5.B note 2. [Edit] WRONG! See June 2008 rules clarifications

Looking for similar language or a case play for NFHS.

bigsig Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:50pm

Just don't understand how you could have an illegal pitch when you have a no pitch call. Can a no pitch be illegal also?

EsqUmp Tue Mar 05, 2013 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsig (Post 883240)
Just don't understand how you could have an illegal pitch when you have a no pitch call. Can a no pitch be illegal also?

Because when a runner leaves the base early, the umpire is to declare "no pitch." It doesn't negate whether something was illegal beforehand. It's simply the mechanic. Perhaps some would prefer that "time" be called instead.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 883206)
Speaking ASA, we enforce the INT and the CO. 8.5.B note 2.

Looking for similar language or a case play for NFHS.

I think we had a very long discussion on this a while back. Reading the RS, it seems that could refer only to the person obstructed being involved in the interference.

Would not accepting the enforcement of the rule negate the play? And if you negate the play, how can you have interference on a play that didn't exist?

Crabby_Bob Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 883251)
I think we had a very long discussion on this a while back. Reading the RS, it seems that could refer only to the person obstructed being involved in the interference.

Would not accepting the enforcement of the rule negate the play? And if you negate the play, how can you have interference on a play that didn't exist?

You're right, of course. See the ASA Rules clarification from June 2008. Now I'm trying to figure out where I heard wrong. :mad:

MD Longhorn Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 883251)

And this logic, which completely makes sense to me, is exactly the reason I DON'T think the logic is correct on the OP. Seems to me - if we're being consistent... the offense should be allowed to accept the penalty for the IP, which wipes out the leaving early just like it wipes out the INT on Manny's play.

But... I don't make the rulings, I just enforce them.

Manny A Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 883307)
And this logic, which completely makes sense to me, is exactly the reason I DON'T think the logic is correct on the OP. Seems to me - if we're being consistent... the offense should be allowed to accept the penalty for the IP, which wipes out the leaving early just like it wipes out the INT on Manny's play.

So, in a nutshell, when the offensive coach accepts the penalty for an IP, it wipes out anything that happened during subsequent play except for a LBE violation, at least in FED play.

My head hurts....