The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:08pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yes, the flag code disallows how it's generally used; unless one considers an officiating organization to be a "patriotic organization." It's a stretch.

But it's also unenforceable.
After 9/11, the US Flag could be found on virtually every athletic uniform being worn in the professional and amateur ranks. Nobody that I'm aware of filed a lawsuit claiming it was against the law.

I support any uniformed organization that wishes to display the Flag. But that's because I spent 30 years in the military.

The official ASA hat still has a small Flag on it, doesn't it?

Back on point, I'm not too happy that I now have to buy a specific hat and shirt to umpire high school games here. I already have three shirts that I've ironed on the VHSL patch that I'll have to essentially throw away. And what the heck was wrong with plain navy hats that I use for multiple organizations?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
After 9/11, the US Flag could be found on virtually every athletic uniform being worn in the professional and amateur ranks. Nobody that I'm aware of filed a lawsuit claiming it was against the law
Remember when people started with the antenna flags and then flying them off a window attachment? Now, do you remember how dirty they became and tattered?

You want to hold the flag up as a matter of respect and honor and patriotism, the first thing you should worry about is to applying that same respect and honor to that symbol. Attaching it to anything including an athletic uniform or hat or glove or whatever where it will become soiled or damaged is just as disrespectful as throwing it to the ground.

Quote:
I support any uniformed organization that wishes to display the Flag. But that's because I spent 30 years in the military.
When I was in the military, the flag was not part of the uniform, nor were you allowed to attach it to any part of your uniform.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 04:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
When I was in the military, the flag was not part of the uniform, nor were you allowed to attach it to any part of your uniform.
It is now, at least in the Army for the camouflage uniform.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 07:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

The link now works. The shirt is $49.95, plus $2.50 tax, plus $7.60 for USPS shipping (cheapest mode). That's $60.05 for one shirt!

OUCH!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 08:20pm
wife loves the goatee...

I wonder if we'll ever know how much of that ends up in Charlottesville.....
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

That is high! But you can't do their game wo their shirt. And it's only one game fee.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is now, at least in the Army for the camouflage uniform.
Of course, it is. It is a feel-good token for most people, but I still do not care for it on any uniform.

Clothes, including uniforms, get dirty especially those designed for working.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Of course, it is. It is a feel-good token for most people, but I still do not care for it on any uniform.

Clothes, including uniforms, get dirty especially those designed for working.
True. But historically, flags were used to lead and inspire combatants on the battlefields. And sports participants are combatants of sorts.

As you can probably tell, I do have US Flags on a number of my umpire shirts. In fact, I use the reverse US Flag on my right sleeve, which has been a source of discussion to some. I once had an older gentleman come up to me at the concession stand after I finished a LL baseball game. I assumed he was going to either ask me a question about a rule, or just give me the usual "Good game, Blue," comment that follows our games.

No, he accused me of improperly displaying the US Flag by wearing it backwards. I tried to convince him that it was appropriate to wear it that way on the uniform, because the field of stars are required to be closer to the heart. He said he used to be in the military and he'd never seen it displayed that way. I replied, "Sir, I still am in the military, and this is the Flag I wear on my work uniform every day."
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Like down here in Florida with the FHSAA and Honig's. Guess they don't want you to show up to games in worn out uniforms.
I understand that this year a couple of vendors were added to the list so that Honigs does not have a monopoly,
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(snip) I replied, "Sir, I still am in the military, and this is the Flag I wear on my work uniform every day."
Great answer.

FWIW, I tend to agree with Irishmafia. I was brought up thinking the flag was special and to be treated almost as a holy object.

I still get uncomfortable when I see the ragged flags on antennas, or the unlit flags at night or those left up in the rain and especially the 23 torn and tattered flags surrounding the used car lot.

I also tend to think wearing them on any and everything not related to the US Government cheapens the flag.

BUT that's just my opinion.... I understand that some who wear the flag (despite the code) have good intentions.

Now, don't ask me my opinion of people hollaring, whistling and shouting during the last 8 measures of the Star Spangled Banner!!!
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After 9/11, the US Flag could be found on virtually every athletic uniform being worn in the professional and amateur ranks. Nobody that I'm aware of filed a lawsuit claiming it was against the law.

The official ASA hat still has a small Flag on it, doesn't it?

Back on point, I'm not too happy that I now have to buy a specific hat and shirt to umpire high school games here. I already have three shirts that I've ironed on the VHSL patch that I'll have to essentially throw away. And what the heck was wrong with plain navy hats that I use for multiple organizations?
I do know an organization (a rather large one) that I used to belong to that insisted we all get new apparel with the flag on the sleeve. A few refused, were threatened, and then when those few (most of whom were ex-military) explained why, trotted out the flag code, and threatened to sue, the organization backed down.

(And note, former organization ... I didn't mention your name!!!! )

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

New VHSL Uniforms

Don't know how this thread morphed into two parts, but here's my two cents on both.

As for the uniform shirts, VHSL members get a 20% discount on the Cliff Keen merchandise. That's still $40 a shirt + tax + shipping, or about $50 each.

Being in three officiating groups (volleyball, basketball, and softball), I currently own 16 official shirts in all those groups. If I just buy two new shirts in each sport, that's $240 that I shouldn't have to spend since all my shirts are in excellent condition.

Not sure yet if the softball caps will be mandatory, but we can add in another $15 each for those.

I think the VHSL's 'association' with Cliff Keen is just a money-making venture for the VHSL. They entered into this agreement not realizing that the almost 3000 officials in Virginia are going to have to fork out nearly a quarter of a million dollars to re-outfit themselves. Not sure what percentage of that money will go to Charlottesville, but I'll bet it's not a small amount.

I'm hoping the local associations will get together and boycott this mandated policy before it becomes effective in the 2014-15 school year. The VHSL has stipulated that all STATE-LEVEL playoff officials must wear these new shirts starting next school year. So some of our people will have to purchase them while others do not.

Now for part two, our association has worn the American flag on the back of our softball shirts for years to show our pride in our country. Not one person has objected to this policy. The flag patch itself tends to hold up better than the shirt, so I've never had a problem with the patch getting soiled or ragged. IMHO, I think it's a great way to display your patriotism. I've yet to hear a TV or radio commentator make any negative comment on an official who's wearing the flag.

God bless the USA!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Funny that the flag patch got into this thread. There is a guy in our local association who wears a "camo-version" of the flag on his shirts.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Funny that the flag patch got into this thread. There is a guy in our local association who wears a "camo-version" of the flag on his shirts.
Does he enforce uniform violations on players as required by the rules org. he working?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:11am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by varefump View Post
I'm hoping the local associations will get together and boycott this mandated policy before it becomes effective in the 2014-15 school year. The VHSL has stipulated that all STATE-LEVEL playoff officials must wear these new shirts starting next school year. So some of our people will have to purchase them while others do not.
And because most umpires don't know they'll be doing State-level games until a week or two out at best, many more will have to buy the shirts and hats in anticipation that they may get the nod. They won't want to risk ordering them at the last minute and finding out they're on back-order.