The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Last Game (forreal this time)

After many weather delays my final game was finally played. In spite of people's fears, the 14 year old girls playing in metal spikes didn't kill anybody.

The masks that some of them wore all seemed to work, although the one girl that was wearing one did turn her head on a bad bounce. Maybe ASA was right in not mandating them, they should just make everyone wear helmets!
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
After many weather delays my final game was finally played. In spite of people's fears, the 14 year old girls playing in metal spikes didn't kill anybody.

The masks that some of them wore all seemed to work, although the one girl that was wearing one did turn her head on a bad bounce. Maybe ASA was right in not mandating them, they should just make everyone wear helmets!
The points I usually make were also made in the committees. You are allowed to wear them now, the adults need to take control. There was also concerns about the "standards" of mandated masks without a NOCSAE approved mask in place.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I know I would be highly upset as a parent to have spent $25 on a mask this year to have to pay another $25 next year because it needs to have a stamp from NOCSAE on it. I know the SB parents go and spend $250 a year on the latest greatest bat, but at some point personal responsibility needs to come into play.

I am glad to hear that someone in the committee has the voice of reason and (un)common sense.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:14pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
I know I would be highly upset as a parent to have spent $25 on a mask this year to have to pay another $25 next year because it needs to have a stamp from NOCSAE on it.
NOCSAE doesn't currently have standards for those face masks? I'm surprised.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
NOCSAE doesn't currently have standards for those face masks? I'm surprised.
Why would they? No reason to until someone sets a standard they must meet.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Or, when someone proves a current mask is a faulty product.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:02pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why would they? No reason to until someone sets a standard they must meet.
Well, maybe someone should set a standard, even if the masks currently aren't mandatory (at least I'm not aware of any organization that makes them a requirement). I would suspect a manufacturer would not want to be sued for a mask they claim will protect a child, and then it fails.

Then again, there are no standards for other protective equipment, like cups, chest guards, and athletic glasses/goggles. So I suppose it's no big deal that face masks don't have one either...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Well, maybe someone should set a standard, even if the masks currently aren't mandatory (at least I'm not aware of any organization that makes them a requirement). I would suspect a manufacturer would not want to be sued for a mask they claim will protect a child, and then it fails.

Then again, there are no standards for other protective equipment, like cups, chest guards, and athletic glasses/goggles. So I suppose it's no big deal that face masks don't have one either...
Someone isn't going to set a standard just for the hell of it. Takes a lot of testing and time and probably some funding. ASTM is a business and probably isn't going to take any equipment to task with being given parameters to which to test.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

NOCSAE was originated by someone who wanted to make money, lets be honest about that. And yes they won't consider the masks until they get MONEY to do so.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
NOCSAE was originated by someone who wanted to make money, lets be honest about that. And yes they won't consider the masks until they get MONEY to do so.
Which is no different than any other business in this country, so....?