The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Last Game (forreal this time) (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/92936-last-game-forreal-time.html)

outathm Fri Nov 16, 2012 01:03am

Last Game (forreal this time)

After many weather delays my final game was finally played. In spite of people's fears, the 14 year old girls playing in metal spikes didn't kill anybody.

The masks that some of them wore all seemed to work, although the one girl that was wearing one did turn her head on a bad bounce. Maybe ASA was right in not mandating them, they should just make everyone wear helmets!:D

IRISHMAFIA Fri Nov 16, 2012 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 862376)
After many weather delays my final game was finally played. In spite of people's fears, the 14 year old girls playing in metal spikes didn't kill anybody.

The masks that some of them wore all seemed to work, although the one girl that was wearing one did turn her head on a bad bounce. Maybe ASA was right in not mandating them, they should just make everyone wear helmets!:D

The points I usually make were also made in the committees. You are allowed to wear them now, the adults need to take control. There was also concerns about the "standards" of mandated masks without a NOCSAE approved mask in place.

outathm Fri Nov 16, 2012 03:23pm

I know I would be highly upset as a parent to have spent $25 on a mask this year to have to pay another $25 next year because it needs to have a stamp from NOCSAE on it. I know the SB parents go and spend $250 a year on the latest greatest bat, but at some point personal responsibility needs to come into play.

I am glad to hear that someone in the committee has the voice of reason and (un)common sense.

Manny A Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 862461)
I know I would be highly upset as a parent to have spent $25 on a mask this year to have to pay another $25 next year because it needs to have a stamp from NOCSAE on it.

NOCSAE doesn't currently have standards for those face masks? I'm surprised.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 862741)
NOCSAE doesn't currently have standards for those face masks? I'm surprised.

Why would they? No reason to until someone sets a standard they must meet.

CecilOne Mon Nov 19, 2012 01:04pm

Or, when someone proves a current mask is a faulty product.

Manny A Mon Nov 19, 2012 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 862744)
Why would they? No reason to until someone sets a standard they must meet.

Well, maybe someone should set a standard, even if the masks currently aren't mandatory (at least I'm not aware of any organization that makes them a requirement). I would suspect a manufacturer would not want to be sued for a mask they claim will protect a child, and then it fails.

Then again, there are no standards for other protective equipment, like cups, chest guards, and athletic glasses/goggles. So I suppose it's no big deal that face masks don't have one either...

IRISHMAFIA Mon Nov 19, 2012 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 862775)
Well, maybe someone should set a standard, even if the masks currently aren't mandatory (at least I'm not aware of any organization that makes them a requirement). I would suspect a manufacturer would not want to be sued for a mask they claim will protect a child, and then it fails.

Then again, there are no standards for other protective equipment, like cups, chest guards, and athletic glasses/goggles. So I suppose it's no big deal that face masks don't have one either...

Someone isn't going to set a standard just for the hell of it. Takes a lot of testing and time and probably some funding. ASTM is a business and probably isn't going to take any equipment to task with being given parameters to which to test.

3afan Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00am

NOCSAE was originated by someone who wanted to make money, lets be honest about that. And yes they won't consider the masks until they get MONEY to do so.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 862990)
NOCSAE was originated by someone who wanted to make money, lets be honest about that. And yes they won't consider the masks until they get MONEY to do so.

Which is no different than any other business in this country, so....?