The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

What are the rules?

No, not softball rules. Forum rules.

Are all threads now supposed to stay strictly on topic? (Lord, help us....)

Or, is poking a little fun with word play now a "thread locked" offense? (If so, what other side topics are also banned... just want to know so if I am poking the tiger, at least I know I am...)

The only REAL problems we've ever had here in the softball sub-forum (IMO) that could not be self-policed (by, e.g., using the "ignore" feature) have been the blatant SPAM messages.

I do appreciate the mods for dealing with SPAM and the like. Clearly abusive posts/posters need to be dealt with (but they are rare here). I'm not quite so enthusiastic about locking threads merely because they drift OT, and even less so when the OT discussion was lightweight in tone and topic.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking that thread was way off course for some time.

That said, it is my opinion that locking the thread was unnecessary; the comment made in closing was appropriate, but locking serious overkill. That action should be saved for threads where the dialogue has seriously broken down and gotten overly personal or abusive.

And I do moderate a local softball board, so I have some insight into keeping a board on line.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I won't pretend to know this board -- I don't post on it (except to prove once in a while how little I know about softball umpiring) and the moderator who locked the thread is a regular here.

That said, I would suggest that you PM him with a specific question. He can always unlock the thread if you ask and he reconsiders.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I won't pretend to know this board -- I don't post on it (except to prove once in a while how little I know about softball umpiring) and the moderator who locked the thread is a regular here.

That said, I would suggest that you PM him with a specific question. He can always unlock the thread if you ask and he reconsiders.
Yeah, that^^^

Seriously though, I did not (and do not) consider thread locking an "offense". No one was in trouble or anything. It just kept getting bumped once a day by increasingly tangential commentary. If it's important to you that it gets reopened, no big deal. It was never my intent to be heavy handed.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't exactly earth-shattering commentary, so I don't really care enough to actually ask to have it re-opened. Maybe those who may have something still to say on the OT might, but for the word usage rabbit trail, no need. I was just goofing around with words.

I was just surprised it was locked, since my experience on other boards is much like what Steve said, locking the thread is the step taken for threads that are not just OT, but have become abusive in some way, or have degenerated into repetitive "did not... did too... did not... did too..." childishness.

I do appreciate the willingness of people to moderate boards, though, so thanks for that.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Rich.....I have e-known you for close to 15 years. You know more than you admit.......

To all......I respect Rich's advice. Go with it. But I am not a fan of locking threads.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 12:08am.