The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy Runner (NFHS)

#33 courtesy runs for the pitcher in the 1st inning. #33 later pinch hits for the girl in the 2 hole (#14) #14 comes back in on defense. An inning later #33 goes to pinch hit for number #14 again. I did not allow it because I said that #33 has burned up her re-entry. Was a courtesy runner, left as a courtesy and re-entered to bat for number #14, sat back down while #14 played defense and then tried to come back in and bat for her. Basically filling 3 different capacities in the game.

Coach said that a courtesy runner is "courtesy" and really isn't in the game. I told coach I would look it up in the book and get the ruling but I looked in the book and couldn't find anything regarding a courtesy runner just being "courtesy" and not in the game.

Just looking for the correct ruling and a rule reference if possible.

Thanks
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

A courtesy runner has not "entered the game" as this pertains to the substitute / re-entry rules. If being a courtesy runner was a legal entry, there would be limits on the number of times a single player can courtesy run (there isn't) and it would be illegal for the player to later enter in a different spot in the order than the spot occupied by the F1 or F2 she is running for (it isn't).
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
#33 courtesy runs for the pitcher in the 1st inning. #33 later pinch hits for the girl in the 2 hole (#14) #14 comes back in on defense. An inning later #33 goes to pinch hit for number #14 again. I did not allow it because I said that #33 has burned up her re-entry.
#33 still had a re-entry remaining, and was eligible to pinch hit for #14 a second time. A courtesy runner is not a substitute (2-57-2 Note ).
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you!
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Courtesy runners in NFHS are required to not be in, nor participated in, the game. Meaning that once they are in the line up (your scenario) or play defense, they are no longer eligible for courtesy running duties. This has nothing to do with re-entries.

In college ball, we talk more about re-entries since there are no courtesy runners, only substitutions.