The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 02:40pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Twice in One Day

In back-to-back 16U plate games I did in an ASA tourney yesterday, including the championship game, I had double plays involving a strike-out/throw-out. What was unusual by both was that the batter struck out on a pitch in the dirt, then took off for first base. Despite my calling, "BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!" the runner at first hesitated, then took off for second base, easily getting thrown out.

And I thought these 16U travel teams were well-coached!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

uh oh
We don't call Batter's Out....
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
uh oh
Is this a softball thing? Just curious. Cause I sure as heck do it in baseball, at all levels.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is this a softball thing? Just curious. Cause I sure as heck do it in baseball, at all levels.
I've been told by 2 different baseball people (an assigner and a clinician) not to say it in baseball either. At most, hold the OUT signal a little longer. Also, in both, the only other difference I've been told is to not do the Leslie Neilson punch-out on a D3K - just a quick, "Strike three" mechanic.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
uh oh
You just let them run even if they are out?

Rita
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I've been told by 2 different baseball people (an assigner and a clinician) not to say it in baseball either. At most, hold the OUT signal a little longer. Also, in both, the only other difference I've been told is to not do the Leslie Neilson punch-out on a D3K - just a quick, "Strike three" mechanic.
Well, just goes to show that clinicians have personal preferences.

We do a loud, "Batter's out! Batter's out!" If we can stop the circus music from playing, all the better.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

I say, "Batter out!", ONLY on an uncaught third strike when the batter isn't entitled to advance, and then ONLY if the batter does actually start to advance (beyond a couple of cursory steps toward first).

So, it's not, "Strike three, batter's out!". It's, "Strike three!", then pause, then read the batter, then emphasize that she's out if she continues advancing.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unless i miss3d something in the last 40 days, in Asa we do can say batter's out as the pu. Just as .kr and jj. This assumes no right to 1b.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
You just let them run even if they are out?

Rita
Yes. If F2 makes a play it is DMC.
This has been discussed exhaustively on the forum.

As others have said, simply say Strike 3.
Batter can run to 1B, even if they are out. Only time you kill it is if they try for 2B..

The Leslie Nielsen punch outs are usually reserved for a called strike three. And U3Ks are usually not in the strike zone. But if it is on a called strike because it popped out of the catcher's mitt, it won't just be an "excuse me, strike three", it will be more emphatic, and quite possibly a punch. Maybe just not with the running three-step punch.

Last edited by tcannizzo; Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 08:54pm. Reason: clarification
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I say, "Batter out!", ONLY on an uncaught third strike when the batter isn't entitled to advance, and then ONLY if the batter does actually start to advance (beyond a couple of cursory steps toward first).

So, it's not, "Strike three, batter's out!". It's, "Strike three!", then pause, then read the batter, then emphasize that she's out if she continues advancing.
Exactly
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I stop a batter from going to 1B is when it is only "Ball 3" or "Strike 2", and I may not be 100% correct in doing that either.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

But then that's what I knew Manny was doing even though he hadn't specified that there were fewer than two outs.

So, no offense, but "duh!" It's always only "Strike three" but if she takes off and she's not entitled, it's "Batter's out! Batter's out!"

But that's for baseball. So you all are saying, one doesn't do it for softball?

Rita
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But then that's what I knew Manny was doing even though he hadn't specified that there were fewer than two outs.

So, no offense, but "duh!" It's always only "Strike three" but if she takes off and she's not entitled, it's "Batter's out! Batter's out!"

But that's for baseball. So you all are saying, one doesn't do it for softball?

Rita
That is correct. We do not do that in FPSB.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...We do not do that in FPSB.
News to me.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:09am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I didn't think I had to specify, Rita, since the result of both situations was a strike-out/throw-out DP.

I have never been told at any NCAA, ASA, or NFHS clinics I've attended that the "BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!" is not an accepted mechanic in this situation. In fact, the CCA Softball Manual instructs the plate umpire to verbalize, "The batter is out," if she tries to advance to first.

I've used it for years in front of numerous tournament UCs, and they've never come up to me afterwards and critiqued me to simply signal the swinging strike.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker