The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

OUCH Distance from the play is important!!

I hadn't seen this posted here, saw it and made me say OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Umpire exits after being spiked in face
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

There's a post on the baseball board. I think it's called umpire gets spiked in the face.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I hadn't seen this posted here, saw it and made me say OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Umpire exits after being spiked in face
Is this why I saw LLWS ump making the call with mask still on?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Is this why I saw LLWS ump making the call with mask still on?
All I can say is....IF they wanted me in that position (that close to the play and on one knee) I would think about having a mask on!!!
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Since when is point of plate a calling position? Or is that an accepted/appropriate position in baseball?
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 06:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Since when is point of plate a calling position? Or is that an accepted/appropriate position in baseball?
As far as I know, it's the accepted start point, but the umpire should then shift one way or the other to obtain the correct angle.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
As far as I know, it's the accepted start point, but the umpire should then shift one way or the other to obtain the correct angle.
Which is kind of hard to do when you're planted there on one knee!
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 01:38pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Which is kind of hard to do when you're planted there on one knee!
Totally agree. But I was only addressing the question regarding PoP positioning.

In softball, I've been instructed to set up by the furthest back corner of the right-handed batter's box (basically 1BLX). PoP makes more sense so that the shift left or right can be executed quicker. Not sure why there's a difference. Chalk it up to another example of one sport having to be different than the other.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Totally agree. But I was only addressing the question regarding PoP positioning.

In softball, I've been instructed to set up by the furthest back corner of the right-handed batter's box (basically 1BLX). PoP makes more sense so that the shift left or right can be executed quicker. Not sure why there's a difference. Chalk it up to another example of one sport having to be different than the other.
The difference is very simple: the number of umpires on the field. In ASA softball (and NFHS), the "base" system is two umpires. Therefore, on just about any play from the outfield, PU has multiple responsibilities. That requires PU to be in a holding zone between 3rd and home and then reading the play. Furthermore, PU will be moving "back" (to his or her right) to the back corner of the right hand batters box. PoP and 3BLX positions in two umpire games are nearly impossible if you are executing your responsibilities.

NCAA's "base" system is 3 umpires, therefore PoP can be used as a (small) holding position to read the play -- What other responsibilities does PU have when no umpire chased?

As for MLB, don't know, don't care. But I think that you cannot equate their sport and our sport.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 08:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
PoP and 3BLX positions in two umpire games are nearly impossible if you are executing your responsibilities.
So, are you saying that PUs in softball don't go to 3BLX to set up for swipe tags?

I do a lot of two-man in baseball, and I am instructed to go to the PoP and then use 3BLX when a runner is scoring and the throw is coming from the right side of the field, in anticipation of a swipe.

Also, I've done plenty of NFHS softball tournament games where we've used three- and four-man crews, as well as three-man for ASA National Qualifiers. U1 is instructed to go to the back of the right-handed batter's box when the crew rotates.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Your mileage might vary, but...

At the last ASA National Umpire School I attended (January 2011), the member of the national staff who was running our plate mechanics drills instructed us to start at the point of the plate, read the play, then adjust accordingly. We were instructed that in most situations 3BLX is the best spot for a swipe tag, 1BLX the better spot if the runner would be sliding into a tag. It was also emphasized that there isn't really a "one size fits all" spot to be in for any given play and that our adjustments should be to wherever we can best see the play.

Works for me! Pretty much what I'd been taught in baseball years before I even started doing softball.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, are you saying that PUs in softball don't go to 3BLX to set up for swipe tags?
It should be a rare case. BTW, 3BLX is not a place to "go" but a position to "end up" after the play develops.

Quote:
I do a lot of two-man in baseball, and I am instructed to go to the PoP and then use 3BLX when a runner is scoring and the throw is coming from the right side of the field, in anticipation of a swipe.
I don't give a flying fig about what you do in baseball. Different sport. I don't work baseball, don't know their mechanics, do not know the responsibilities. I do know the field is different, and that probably leads to some differences. For the sake of this conversation, baseball mechanics are moot.

(note: I apologize about coming off a bit strong here, but like you got the "keep softball out of baseball" comment on the other side, I on to say "keep baseball out of softball" -- Even if you do go both ways )

Quote:
Also, I've done plenty of NFHS softball tournament games where we've used three- and four-man crews, as well as three-man for ASA National Qualifiers. U1 is instructed to go to the back of the right-handed batter's box when the crew rotates.
Actually, that answers your own question. When U1 rotates home, there are two other umpires. This is the same thing that PU does when no BU chases (NCAA allows for the PoP to be a holding zone; ASA does not recognize PoP as a holding zone). However, if there is only one BU in the infield (two umpire system OR three with a BU chasing), on scoring plays PU's responsibility is to take lead runner(s) at third. To maintain this responsibility, you have to utilize the holding zone between third and home. If you are working this properly, it is difficult to "go" to PoP or 1BLX (again, the play may take you into that position, but you should strive to get there).
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 09:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
It should be a rare case. BTW, 3BLX is not a place to "go" but a position to "end up" after the play develops.
Agree. I misspoke when I said 3BLX is a "go" position.

Quote:
I don't give a flying fig about what you do in baseball. Different sport. I don't work baseball, don't know their mechanics, do not know the responsibilities. I do know the field is different, and that probably leads to some differences. For the sake of this conversation, baseball mechanics are moot.
Not necessarily, at least not for me. I do a lot of LL Baseball at the Majors (12U) level, and they play on a 60' diamond, just like softball. I'm just trying to learn and understand the subtle (and not so subtle) differences since, as you mentioned, I "swing". There may be others on both boards that do the same.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Your mileage might vary, but...

At the last ASA National Umpire School I attended (January 2011), the member of the national staff who was running our plate mechanics drills instructed us to start at the point of the plate, read the play, then adjust accordingly. We were instructed that in most situations 3BLX is the best spot for a swipe tag, 1BLX the better spot if the runner would be sliding into a tag. It was also emphasized that there isn't really a "one size fits all" spot to be in for any given play and that our adjustments should be to wherever we can best see the play.

Works for me! Pretty much what I'd been taught in baseball years before I even started doing softball.
Probably 75% of the close plays at the plate I wind up with I end up 1BLX. But most SB catchers line up way in front of the plate and not behind so it maybe a regional thing.

I always taught my daughters to be in front of the plate on those type plays.....maybe all of the other coaches took my advice.........

I usually cue off of the catcher and where she sets up....

JMHO

Joel