View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Totally agree. But I was only addressing the question regarding PoP positioning.

In softball, I've been instructed to set up by the furthest back corner of the right-handed batter's box (basically 1BLX). PoP makes more sense so that the shift left or right can be executed quicker. Not sure why there's a difference. Chalk it up to another example of one sport having to be different than the other.
The difference is very simple: the number of umpires on the field. In ASA softball (and NFHS), the "base" system is two umpires. Therefore, on just about any play from the outfield, PU has multiple responsibilities. That requires PU to be in a holding zone between 3rd and home and then reading the play. Furthermore, PU will be moving "back" (to his or her right) to the back corner of the right hand batters box. PoP and 3BLX positions in two umpire games are nearly impossible if you are executing your responsibilities.

NCAA's "base" system is 3 umpires, therefore PoP can be used as a (small) holding position to read the play -- What other responsibilities does PU have when no umpire chased?

As for MLB, don't know, don't care. But I think that you cannot equate their sport and our sport.