View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So, are you saying that PUs in softball don't go to 3BLX to set up for swipe tags?
It should be a rare case. BTW, 3BLX is not a place to "go" but a position to "end up" after the play develops.

Quote:
I do a lot of two-man in baseball, and I am instructed to go to the PoP and then use 3BLX when a runner is scoring and the throw is coming from the right side of the field, in anticipation of a swipe.
I don't give a flying fig about what you do in baseball. Different sport. I don't work baseball, don't know their mechanics, do not know the responsibilities. I do know the field is different, and that probably leads to some differences. For the sake of this conversation, baseball mechanics are moot.

(note: I apologize about coming off a bit strong here, but like you got the "keep softball out of baseball" comment on the other side, I on to say "keep baseball out of softball" -- Even if you do go both ways )

Quote:
Also, I've done plenty of NFHS softball tournament games where we've used three- and four-man crews, as well as three-man for ASA National Qualifiers. U1 is instructed to go to the back of the right-handed batter's box when the crew rotates.
Actually, that answers your own question. When U1 rotates home, there are two other umpires. This is the same thing that PU does when no BU chases (NCAA allows for the PoP to be a holding zone; ASA does not recognize PoP as a holding zone). However, if there is only one BU in the infield (two umpire system OR three with a BU chasing), on scoring plays PU's responsibility is to take lead runner(s) at third. To maintain this responsibility, you have to utilize the holding zone between third and home. If you are working this properly, it is difficult to "go" to PoP or 1BLX (again, the play may take you into that position, but you should strive to get there).