The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I think we've all officiated enough games to understand that blowouts happen - bad sportsmanship happens, and there are things that might be legal, but cross over into the potential to blow up in the wrong situation. When a player is doing something to try to win or score or advance or whatever, that's one thing. When they are doing it to taunt, it's something else. I suspect we've all been there. And I suspect that if we described our situation to someone else, it might not sound like taunting. It's one of those things that you know when you see it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Guess "you had to be there". This girl was head and shoulders the best player on both teams. The team ahead had players batting left handed when they were right handed players which I can see...........but the attitudes were beginning to show and when this happened, for me, it was a bit over the top. She didn't do it again so no harm, no foul..............I just wasn't going to have the losers of the game being "showed up" is all.
I really don't like the notion that it is the umpire's job to protect the feelings of the players. Actual unsportsmanlike behavior, sure, but it is not our job to protect the self esteem of less skilled players. That you would mention having players batting left handed (a well used technique to keep the score down) would seem to indicate you do have a threshold on such things that is too low.

Besides, as Mike points out, a legal play must be allowed.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Again! You had to be there............period!!!! I thought it was unsporting and I stopped it. I wasn't about to let it escalate into something that could have been stopped "before" anything ugly happened. They could have protested all day long. It was my judgment cuz that's what I do and the coach apparently agreed cuz it stopped.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Again! You had to be there............period!!!! I thought it was unsporting and I stopped it. I wasn't about to let it escalate into something that could have been stopped "before" anything ugly happened. They could have protested all day long. It was my judgment cuz that's what I do and the coach apparently agreed cuz it stopped.
The move is legal......period. And the coach probably stopped it because you said to stop it. They do things like that, you know.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Lefty slapper, she would take normal stance, but on occasion as the pitch was coming in she would drop her left hand from the bat, take the bat with her right hand and bring the bat around behind her back, grab it with her left hand and then do a running one handed drag bunt.
Do you know where the team was from? The description fits a girl from my area who does this from time to time. I want to say she plays at 16U level, but that's a guess. She has blond hair and I think she also bats from the right side on occasion. I haven't seen her put a ball in play yet doing that but did have a couple of fouls.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

The team is out of the Phoenix metro area. I had people talk about something like this years ago, but this is the first I had actually seen it in person.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The team is out of the Phoenix metro area. I had people talk about something like this years ago, but this is the first I had actually seen it in person.
If I remember correctly, some people refer to it as the California drag bunt.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I would love to see a video of this just to see if what I'm picturing in my head is right.

You say she drops her left hand and swings the bat round her back, then takes it again and drag bunts. Wouldn't that mean the ball is being hit with the bat upside down and she's holding the barrell??