The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 07:42am
Administrator

ASA National FP Tournaments

None of us do this for the money (), but I was curious as to what the umpire game fee is for ASA Girls' FP Nationals. The 2013 Girls' 10U and 12U Nationals will be in NW Ohio next summer and there is already a discussion about the proposed game fees.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I was in Bloomington, Indiana about four years ago for 12-U, and we got $18.00 a game. My game fees didn't even pay for my gas. Three years ago in Sterling, Virginia, we got $25.00 a game.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
None of us do this for the money (), but I was curious as to what the umpire game fee is for ASA Girls' FP Nationals. The 2013 Girls' 10U and 12U Nationals will be in NW Ohio next summer and there is already a discussion about the proposed game fees.

MTD, Sr.
ASA Code:

B. Umpire Expense. Umpire expenses must include the following:
01. Game fees for Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Fast Pitch and Modified Pitch shall be a minimum of $25.00 per game. Game Fees for Adult Slow Pitch shall be a minimum of $20.00 per game and Game Fees for Junior Olympic slow pitch shall be a minimum of $16.00 per game. The number of umpires to be assigned per game is addressed in
Article 510 ( R ) of the this code.

It should be noted these are bottom-line figures. The tournament may pay a higher rate. These are all a minimum of two-umpire games.

Unfortunately, some umpires do not take into consideration the amount tournaments use to provide food and drink and other little niceties. None of which are required by code.

Of course, not all tournaments are done in a good fashion. Some go extremely overboard (parties, tix to local attractions, rental cars, etc.) and some operate on a skin-of-their-teeth budget (umpires have to pitch in to by a couple pizzas for themselves) that allows for little in the line of additional amenities.

And, obviously, when a tournament takes care of the umpires, they will receive a more favorable evaluation and have umpires wanting to return while others may find it difficult to find a kind word from the umpire ranks.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 01:34pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I umpired in the 14U A Eastern National two years ago, and the 14U B Eastern National last year. Both were hosted near La Plata, MD. I believe I received $30 a game for those.

This year, I umpired in an 18U Gold National qualifier, again near La Plata. That one I received $35 a game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Last year in Midland (14u USA/ASA) it was 'code' pay of $25 per game, the year before in College Station (16u USA/ASA) it was $30. I am the umpire coordinator for a 10u Southern in two weeks and still having a bit of trouble getting the game fee from the TD (but I am guessing it will be $30). In Aug I'll be in College Station for the Men's over 40 FP and most likely that will be 'code' pay. I am good with that, as I don't call a natl for the money, I do it for the fun, to learn and to hopefully get another evaluation from a National Staff Member. The 'money' part of the season comes from many local 'college looks' and such that pay $30 (and sometimes more) for 75 minute 'drop dead' games. It all seems to come out in the wash over the course of the full season.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

sixteen bucks was the lowest.......twenty two the highest.

I had my best in Atlanta and Fort Worth at $16.

I would pay to go to Oregon, Washington or Montana though.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I was in Bloomington, Indiana for the 10U Nationals in 09 and I think we got $18 per game. I will be there in Bloomington in two weeks and we are getting $25 per game this time.
I have to add that Bloomington does a great job of taking care of the umpires. We are staying at the Hampton Inn, which is a nice hotel for Bloomington. They are also taking us out to Yogi's Bar & Grill this year on Tuesday evening. They took us to The Trojan Horse (I think) last time. Both are local places that have good food, cold beer and great service.
In 09 they also grilled steaks and baked potatoes on Friday night that were really good.
Bloomington has great facilities and a great staff. I personally like umpiring the U10's but it doesn't matter in Bloomington. Always a good time.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2012, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to Bloomington, IN also. I've heard that they take great care of the umpires. I'm looking forward to it!