The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
After the game we were discussing the game with the UIC in the umpires room when the tournament director interjected he prefers player ejections to be kept private and not public. He said I should have just called time, called the coach over and told her we needed a sub because #5 is being ejected, there is no need to embarass the girls with a public ejection.
That's idiotic. The action you described MUST be handled publicly.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
If she was safe you should have called time long before you did.

These are 10 year old's and I have had them tell me that they were told by the coach to hold the tag until umpire called the runner out.

So nothing else, even calling her safe is going to replace that thought in her mind.

But on the way you handled it good job.
What reason was there to call time ?
(unless you were going to call interference and then you would have to bang BR, right?

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
What reason was there to call time ?
(unless you were going to call interference and then you would have to bang BR, right?
No, Hugo ... you can only call time unnecessarily and then call interference if F2 had gotten up and pegged R1 in the face with the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Sometimes I wonder if it may actually be better to be a little stricter on the younger ages regarding conduct. That way they are getting the message earlier rough play wont be tolerated, and then maybe we wont be dealing with it at 18G level.

Now that you have brought up this subject, I had my first ever ejection of a player last week. This also was a qualifying tournament, 14U and the home team was being handled by the visitors. Things had been getting a little more chippy as the game progressed and I had just warned F1 of the home team about hard tags on runners. In the bottom of the last inning, the batter cue balled a grounder up the 1st base line which was spinning wildly just along the foul side of the line and rolled about 40' toward 1st. F3 moved up, straddled the line and just as the ball got to her it spun across the line into fair territory. F3 picked up the ball, was standing completely stationary just holding the ball waiting to tag the batter/runner. Initially the batter hadnt run because the ball hit well foul, but now is trucking down the line obviously disgusted. F3 did nothing, just stood there holding the ball about a foot from her body waiting to tag the B/R. Just as she got there, the B/R raised her fists up into her chest, stuck her elbows out and just blasted F3. I clearly saw the look of pure anger on her face as she did it and I immediately tossed her on the spot.

This was an instentanious decision on my part and was based as much on the look I saw on the girls face as well as the physical hit. I truly believe this girl intended to do physical harm. It was a very publicly displayed action, and as I said I immediately tossed her on the spot. After the game we were discussing the game with the UIC in the umpires room when the tournament director interjected he prefers player ejections to be kept private and not public. He said I should have just called time, called the coach over and told her we needed a sub because #5 is being ejected, there is no need to embarass the girls with a public ejection.

My question is, public or private ejection? I would tend to agree if the girl had done something that was not public, such as mouthing off or cussing at me where no one else really heard it. In those instances no one else is really aware of what has happened. However, in my situation it was a very out in the open and public display of aggression and I believed it warranted an immediate and public reaction from me. Opinions?
Was this the game on Saturday night that was really chippy? I didn't realize that you had an ejection in that game.

You absolutely did the right thing...in that case, everybody needs to know that the player has been ejected because everybody saw what she did.

Tournament UIC and I had a discussion about Mr. TD and his interactions with the umpires.....we will be requesting a few changes in his involvement going forward.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No, Hugo ... you can only call time unnecessarily and then call interference if F2 had gotten up and pegged R1 in the face with the ball.
Damn.... I'm still working on the new mechanics.
Bare with me.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Yes, was the last game on saturday night. Home team was not happy they were getting run ruled, and of course it was entirely the umpire crews fault. Oh, and we also appeared to have a couple of beaning attempts on the plate ump late in the game. I wasnt too sure about the first one, I was 95% on the second, but PU didnt say a word so neither did I.

I thought I was plenty obvious on the ejection, I probably actually yelled a little too loud "youre gone" and pointed to the direction of the parking lot. But apparently the head coach didnt figure it out until the player was back at the dugout. Then she came stomping across the field claiming her player "only raised her arms up to protect herself". Protect herself from what? F3 was standing motionless waiting to apply the tag.