The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Dixie 12U: After bring her hands together in front of her body, she drops her pitching arm down and back to start her windmill but releases the ball at the hip and continues the revolution of her arm while the ball is on the way to the pitcher. The first time I saw it I thought it hit her hip. Dixie rules state:

6:04 — THE PITCHER MAY USE ANY WIND-UP DESIRED, PROVIDED:
(A) — She does not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.
(B) — She does not use a rocker action in which, after having the ball in both hands in pitching position, she removes one hand from the ball, takes a backward and forward swing and returns the ball to both hands in front of the body.
(C) — She does not use a wind-up in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion.
(D) — She does not make more than one revolution of the arm in the windmill pitch. A pitcher may drop her arm to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion.
(E) — She does not continue to wind-up after taking the forward step which is simultaneous with the release of the ball.

She didn't make more than one revolution of the arm (D), but I wonder about (E) does this override (D)? Anyone else seen this pitch before in a fastpitch game?
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Dixie 12U: After bring her hands together in front of her body, she drops her pitching arm down and back to start her windmill but releases the ball at the hip and continues the revolution of her arm while the ball is on the way to the pitcher. The first time I saw it I thought it hit her hip. Dixie rules state:

6:04 — THE PITCHER MAY USE ANY WIND-UP DESIRED, PROVIDED:
(A) — She does not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.
(B) — She does not use a rocker action in which, after having the ball in both hands in pitching position, she removes one hand from the ball, takes a backward and forward swing and returns the ball to both hands in front of the body.
(C) — She does not use a wind-up in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion.
(D) — She does not make more than one revolution of the arm in the windmill pitch. A pitcher may drop her arm to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion.
(E) — She does not continue to wind-up after taking the forward step which is simultaneous with the release of the ball.

She didn't make more than one revolution of the arm (D), but I wonder about (E) does this override (D)? Anyone else seen this pitch before in a fastpitch game?
I believe that you are correct in that your play would have been an illegal pitch because of "E".
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
What you are describing sounds like a pitch I've seen twice. This is a trick pitch, intended to fool the batter. The ball is released on the first forward pass at the hip, and then the pitching arm continues around for a full revolution. In ASA, I have an illegal pitch. (FP)
See Rule 6, section 3, line J - "The pitcher must not make another revolution after releasing the ball."
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

ABZ:

This would, by interpretation, be a violation of E). She has continued her windup after the release of the pitch. There must be someone down there in Alabama teaching this pitch to the girls, though. I saw this several times by a couple of pitchers from Alabama in a Dixie World Series a couple of years back. We called it illegal everytime, much to the chagrin of the coaches.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I found out that the local high school coach taught this girl the pitch. They insist that it is legal in NF. I don't call HS ball but I find it hard to believe that this pitch would be legal in NF if illegal in Dixie and ASA.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
I found out that the local high school coach taught this girl the pitch. They insist that it is legal in NF. I don't call HS ball but I find it hard to believe that this pitch would be legal in NF if illegal in Dixie and ASA.
NFHS Rule 6, Section 1, Art. 4 "The pitcher may use any windup desired provided ... e. the pitcher does not continue to wind up after taking the forward step or after the ball is released. NOTE: Continuation of the windup is considered any action that, after the ball is released, causes the arm to continue to rotate past the shoulder. PENALTY: ... illegal pitch...
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
So many myths, so many myths, you could end up lisping.
Maybe instead of trying to get everyone to read the rules, we could publish (with Greymule and LadyBlue (to catch gender slights) editing ) a book (illustrated by WhiskersUmp ) of myths (physiology by WestMichBlue ) and print NO NO NO after each one. Of course, the preface would be IrishMafia denying being anal. I'm sure I could write a philospohical epilogue, with help from DownTownTonyBrown.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Of course, the preface would be IrishMafia denying being anal.
Nope, that would be a lie and I don't lie
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
So many myths, so many myths, you could end up lisping.
Maybe instead of trying to get everyone to read the rules, we could publish (with Greymule and LadyBlue (to catch gender slights) editing ) a book (illustrated by WhiskersUmp ) of myths (physiology by WestMichBlue ) and print NO NO NO after each one. Of course, the preface would be IrishMafia denying being anal. I'm sure I could write a philospohical epilogue, with help from DownTownTonyBrown.
You, sir, are ejected for flagrant smirking.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

And cannot call for 1 week for using too many smiley's.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Yes, I might take the editor's job for the right money!

LOL
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995