The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Girls fast pitch - 14U....not sure if it is ASA or Nat'l. Fed.:

After a better is walked she runs down to first base. Never hesitating at first, she runs on to second base. When I first saw it, I thought "hmmmm...good play". Runner on third had our team's attention. After the game a couple of parents come up and ask how that runner can get to second when our pitcher had the ball inside the circle chalked around the mound.

My assumption is since the batter/runner never stopped, the play could not have ended - regardless of where the ball was. Am I correct?

Along the same lines -- I had another parent tell me that he heard once that batter/runner turns to second base and makes a commitment she is required to go to second. I don't believe that is correct....is it?
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

The wording is a little different between ASA and FED, but the concept is the same. In your situation, the batter/runner can round first base by a step or two, stop if she wishes and see where the ball is, and then immediately return to first or proceed to second. Once she makes that choice of proceeding or returning, she cannot change her mind as long as the pitcher has the ball in the circle and it not making a play on her.

If she rounds first and proceeds to second without stopping within a couple of steps of first, she has "committed" herself towards second.

In FED, there was a rule wording change last year that states the batter runner may stop once. Some interpret this to mean that they can stop once anywhere along the path before deciding to return to first, e.g. she could be three inches from second, stop and decide she wanted to return to first. My belief is that this interpretation is incorrect and that the stop must occur within a step or two of first base. I would not be surprised if there is a clarification of this in the next rule and/or case book.

By the way, if you access to a rule book, just review the section on the "Look Back Rule" for detailed information.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Dan, so are you saying that one the runner is commited to second she HAS to run? If so, it seems pretty lopsided in the defense's favor. All a team would have to do is wait until the runner commits and then throw to second.

I don't have access to a rulebook...I understand the officiating philosophy because I have done football for 18 years, and did basketball for 9. I'm assisting in coaching a softball team and want to make sure I'm teaching the kids the right thing.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes.ref
Dan, so are you saying that one the runner is commited to second she HAS to run? If so, it seems pretty lopsided in the defense's favor. All a team would have to do is wait until the runner commits and then throw to second.

I don't have access to a rulebook...I understand the officiating philosophy because I have done football for 18 years, and did basketball for 9. I'm assisting in coaching a softball team and want to make sure I'm teaching the kids the right thing.
"All a team would have to do is wait until the runner commits and then throw to second."

Once the pitcher throws, or feints, the runner(s) is/are released from the commitment.

Bob
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If I remember correctly, NFHS rules define specifically what thet BR can do after overrunning 1st. If the BR feints or attempts toward 2nd, then 2nd is the only choice. If the BR turns right or turns left and moves toward 1st, then 1st is the only choice.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
If I remember correctly, NFHS rules define specifically what thet BR can do after overrunning 1st. If the BR feints or attempts toward 2nd, then 2nd is the only choice. If the BR turns right or turns left and moves toward 1st, then 1st is the only choice.
But this was not the situation in the original post. There is a big difference between overrunning 1st base and rounding 1st base.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes.ref
... All a team would have to do is wait until the runner commits and then throw to second.
I agree with Bob (bluezebra). Sorry I did not state that part. If you really want to teach the girls correctly, you might want to get a copy of the rule book for the organization you call.

The only one I know that is available online is NSA and is very similar to other organizations. It can be found at http://www.playnsa.com. The rule you were asking about is Rule 8 Sec 8 (x), which is on page 100 of that rule book, i.e. page 127 of 156 of the PDF file at the web site.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

SC: "The wording is a little different between ASA and FED, but the concept is the same. In your situation, the batter/runner can round first base by a step or two,"

#1 There is zero difference between the ASA and NFHS book. Both say "a batter-runner who rounds first base toward second base may stop, but then must immediately return to first or attempt to advance non-stop to second base."

#2 There is a difference between "rounding" first base and "over-running" first base. Rounding means that the B-R has run wide and hit 1B going towards 2B. There is no stop in that motion. Over-run means to continue down the foul line towards RF. When the B-R pulls up to turn back towards the infield, she has stopped. ASA and NFHS have four rules to define the actions on an over-run; again both books have identical text.

SC: "If she rounds first and proceeds to second without stopping within a couple of steps of first, she has "committed" herself towards second."

#3 NOT TRUE. There is nothing in these two books that defines any physical dimensions for a stop. That is not a rule; is not an umpire judgment; only a B-R (or runner) will decide when and where to stop. When the B-R rounds 1B without stopping, IMO she can go to within 6" of 2B and stop! Then make a decision to continue non-stop to 2B, or return (also non-stop) to 1B.

Always remember that a runner or B-R is allowed one stop after F1 receives the ball in the circle. If F2 fakes R1 back to 3B, and R1 is proceeding towards 3B when F1 receives the ball, then R1 can stop one time - and then either continue back to 3B, or go towards home.

When a B-R reaches 1B, and F1 has the ball, and B-R rounds 1B, she is allowed one stop somewhere between 1B and 2B. When a B-R reaches 1B, and F1 has the ball, and B-R over-runs 1B she may stop 2' down the line, or may go 30' into RF (and say hi to F9)! No umpire has the authority to judge for themselves when or where a runner must stop.

WMB

Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Don't mean to change the subject, but I'm going to.

How bout in SP? Our league makes us call time after the play ends, but when does a play end? Where does the ball have to be? I wait until an infielder is in the infield dirt with possession of the ball and all runners have stopped their forward motion before I call time. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Animal
When does the play end in slow pitch

BigUmpJohn

I agree with you 100% this is a judgement call, and I alsway call it as you stated, when an infielder has possesion of the ball and the lead runner is no longer trying to advance the play is then dead and I will usually call TIME to let all players now that the ball is dead. This also allows me time to get back into position to continue the game.

Animal/Bruce
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

SC: ....

#1... #2... #3...

I have no disagreements with your items #1 or #2. (I don't do ASA and haven't looked at an ASA rule book since 1994. I was sure the wording for ASA would be similar to FED, but I am surprised to hear the wording is exactly the same. I wonder who has the copyright and who has plagerized.)

Concerning your item #3 and as I mentioned in my original post:

"In FED, there was a rule wording change last year that states the batter runner may stop once. Some interpret this to mean that they can stop once anywhere along the path before deciding to return to first, e.g. she could be three inches from second, stop and decide she wanted to return to first. My belief is that this interpretation is incorrect and that the stop must occur within a step or two of first base. I would not be surprised if there is a clarification of this in the next rule and/or case book."

If you have heard of a clarification coming out, it would be great to know where that could be found.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

The play ends when the umpire says it ends.

Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

"My belief is that this interpretation is incorrect and that the stop must occur within a step or two of first base"

Dan, I know what your position on this is, because you were in the midst of a fierce debate on McGriff's about 16 mo ago when we were first discussing the new NFHS Rule 8. There were many that agreed with you in setting an arbitrary distance for the B-R to come to a stop. Some went so far as to say it was a mental stop; that after a couple steps the B-R would look at F1, find the ball, and stop in her mind! Then if she continues running she is committed to 2B. Oh yeah, try to sell that call to a coach that you "read his runner's mind!"

But as then, I still disagree with your intepretation. I don't think that an umpire can define when a runner "stopped" if she is still physically moving. The runner has to physically stop; the umpire can't stop her in his mind.

NFHS is now in the 2nd year of new rule 8, and ASA has had it for many years. I am not aware of any clarification about an arbitrary distance clarification for "may stop."

WMB
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"My belief is that this interpretation is incorrect and that the stop must occur within a step or two of first base"

Dan, I know what your position on this is, because you were in the midst of a fierce debate on McGriff's about 16 mo ago when we were first discussing the new NFHS Rule 8. There were many that agreed with you in setting an arbitrary distance for the B-R to come to a stop. Some went so far as to say it was a mental stop; that after a couple steps the B-R would look at F1, find the ball, and stop in her mind! Then if she continues running she is committed to 2B. Oh yeah, try to sell that call to a coach that you "read his runner's mind!"

But as then, I still disagree with your intepretation. I don't think that an umpire can define when a runner "stopped" if she is still physically moving. The runner has to physically stop; the umpire can't stop her in his mind.

NFHS is now in the 2nd year of new rule 8, and ASA has had it for many years. I am not aware of any clarification about an arbitrary distance clarification for "may stop."

WMB
Agree, WMB. Although the "6 inches from 2nd" example is the absurd used to drive home the point, the point is correct. She may continue moving until she stops. Once she stops, she must immediately decide which direction to go, and go there without another stop. This, of course, is all under the "rounding" scenario. Overrunning is more complicated and different.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

"Although the "6 inches from 2nd" example is the absurd used to drive home the point, the point is correct"

Agreed, Tom. If I have R1 at 3B, less than 2 outs, and a walked B-R is just barely walking to 2B, wanting a throw, then stops 6" short and starts slowly back to 1B, I probably have an out for USC - "behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play." But I don't have an out under the LB rule.

WMB