The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Number of pitches after an injury to pitcher

I am a new softball coach to a 12U traveling team. I have been reading all of your expertise on here and it has been very helpful. I have two questions.
1. If your pitcher gets injured during the course of a game is it like baseball where you get to warm up until ready?
Or...is there a set number of pitches you get?
2. Besides this website, where could I get an online version of the ASA rule book?

Thanks!

Ryan
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

1. 5 pitches.
2. No "legal" online ASA rule books that I know of.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

In scenario 1., are you asking how many warmup pitches a NEW pitcher would get if the pitcher in the game got hurt and had to be replaced?

If that is your question, it's umpires discretion.....If it is a new player coming off the bench that hasn't been throwing already, then I'm going to let her have as many as she needs.

If it is a player that is already in the game, I'm going to assume that her arm is fairly warm and allow a lot less.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am a parent and have a question very similar, if not that same. My DD(pitcher) got hit last weekend on a ball hit right back at her. The umpires were nice and let her throw a few to see if she was OK. Is that legal or were they just being nice?

Thanks
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
I am a parent and have a question very similar, if not that same. My DD(pitcher) got hit last weekend on a ball hit right back at her. The umpires were nice and let her throw a few to see if she was OK. Is that legal or were they just being nice?

Thanks
There's no rule to either allow or prevent this. I've done this as well, the same as you would allow a runner to jog about a bit if she was injured in the leg, etc., or the catcher to catch and throw a couple of she took one off the hand.

re: Andy's response, the rules do explicitly state 5 warm up pitches for a new pitcher entering the game, and even states a penalty for more than 5. (Although the umpire does have discretion based on the stated exception for when the umpire is tending to other official duties.)
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post

Thanks
It's called good game management.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
I am a new softball coach to a 12U traveling team. I have been reading all of your expertise on here and it has been very helpful. I have two questions.
1. If your pitcher gets injured during the course of a game is it like baseball where you get to warm up until ready?
Or...is there a set number of pitches you get?
2. Besides this website, where could I get an online version of the ASA rule book?

Thanks!

Ryan
(quote from NFHS 2011 pdf)
Quote:
ART. 5 . . . At the beginning of each half-inning or when a pitcher relieves another, no more than one minute may be used to deliver no more than five balls to the catcher or other teammate. The one-minute time limit begins from the third out of the previous half-inning. Play shall be suspended during this time.
NOTES:
1. A pitcher returning in the same half inning will not be granted any warm-up pitches.
2. Umpire is authorized to allow more pitches when weather is inclement or if pitcher was removed due to an injury

quote from 2010 ASA Case Book
Quote:
Play 6.9-1
When a substitute replaces F1, how many warm up pitches are permitted?
Ruling: FIVE; however the umpire is authorized to allow more pitches when weather is inclement or F1 was removed because of injury and the substitute did not have time to warm up before entering

NCAA 2012-2013
Quote:
8.5.2.2 After a pitching change, a relief pitcher may throw not more than the number of pitches/throws allowed between innings. Play shall be
suspended during this time.
EFFECT—A ball shall be awarded to the next batter(s) for each warm-up
pitch/throw in excess of the limit. Exception: This penalty does
not apply if the pitching change is necessitated by an injury to
the pitcher