The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Slow Pitch T or F

(Slow Pitch Only) If the EP is used, the team may drop down to 10 players and go back to 11 players as many times as they have legal substitutes.

I was given Rule 4, Section 4, A and C. It is still confusing to me. Is the question considered true or false?
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc_wa View Post
(Slow Pitch Only) If the EP is used, the team may drop down to 10 players and go back to 11 players as many times as they have legal substitutes.

I was given Rule 4, Section 4, A and C. It is still confusing to me. Is the question considered true or false?
Talk it through. People here are reluctant (usually) to simply do the test for you. Pick true or false and try to prove yourself right. If you can't, try the opposite. Do the rules you are given say you CAN do this? Do they say you CAN'T?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Talk it through. People here are reluctant (usually) to simply do the test for you. Pick true or false and try to prove yourself right. If you can't, try the opposite. Do the rules you are given say you CAN do this? Do they say you CAN'T?
I am not simply asking! These were questions I could not answer and trying to get clarification. If you read some of my other posts, you would see I answered the question and was getting clarification on the rule.

At least other people are being helpful instead of being sarcastic in their response. That is what this forum is about. Getting help with questions about the subject matter. I am not sitting here asking for someone to do the work for me. This is my first year and some of these questions are misleading and you cannot understand them to some degree.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not simply asking! These were questions I could not answer and trying to get clarification. If you read some of my other posts, you would see I answered the question and was getting clarification on the rule.

At least other people are being helpful instead of being sarcastic in their response. That is what this forum is about. Getting help with questions about the subject matter. I am not sitting here asking for someone to do the work for me. This is my first year and some of these questions are misleading and you cannot understand them to some degree.
For the record, I was not being sarcastic in the least. I was trying to be helpful, and walk you the process of learning the answer for yourself. If you read the test, get 50 answers and know how to rule in those 50 cases... then you know how to rule in 50 cases. If you read the test, and actually bother to understand the rules in question - you know how to rule in 100 times as many cases. You need to not just be right... you need to know WHY you are right.

This forum is not about answering your test questions for you. You were directed to where the answer was.

So I'll ask again... Do the rules you are given say you CAN do this? Do they say you CAN'T?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Lets think through this together. you already listed the most applicable rules 4.4Abold was my addition)
An extra player (EP) is optional, but if used, it must be made known prior to
the start of the game and be listed in the line-up card in the regular batting
order. If the EP is used, the EP must be used the entire game. If an EP is used and not listed on the line-up card the following occursrest doesn't apply)

4.4C
When an EP is used, all 11 on the starting line-up must bat and any 10 of
those 11 may play defense.

Looks to me like these two state once you start the game with 11 you have to stick with 11 in the lineup! True some have thought about shorthanded rules and things, but I believe the intent of this queston was to make sure umpires knew that once you designate an EP at the start of the game they (or a substitute for them) has to hit the entire game. You can't start with an EP then get to the 4th inning and say "Bubba you been hittin like sh*t, sit down. Blue we aren't gonna do that EP thing anymore." Then in the 6th when Bubba been cryin, the coach says "All right baby Bubba go hit. Blue we want to do that EP thing again." That would be going from 11 down to 10 then back to 11, and is not allowed.

I think another intent of the question is to show some difference between the EP rule and the DP/Flex, where in the DP/Flex you can go from 10 to 9 and back again as many times as you have available subs.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks Dave! I understand that better now you explained in detail.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
For the record, I was not being sarcastic in the least. I was trying to be helpful, and walk you the process of learning the answer for yourself. If you read the test, get 50 answers and know how to rule in those 50 cases... then you know how to rule in 50 cases. If you read the test, and actually bother to understand the rules in question - you know how to rule in 100 times as many cases. You need to not just be right... you need to know WHY you are right.

This forum is not about answering your test questions for you. You were directed to where the answer was.

So I'll ask again... Do the rules you are given say you CAN do this? Do they say you CAN'T?
I was not asking for a direct answer. I wanted an explanation given to help me with the answer. I am not a pro like you are just yet. The question was confusing to begin with anyway.

Please do not respond to any more of my questions if I have them!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not asking for a direct answer. I wanted an explanation given to help me with the answer. I am not a pro like you are just yet. The question was confusing to begin with anyway.

My friend you are making a mistake by saying that!

Not only was Mike helpful in his first response, there was no "sarcasm" or ridicule at all. Had you followed his advice, you would have wound up just where Dave took you!

Mike is also very knowledgable of the rules of the game. You are wasting a valuable resource.

And lastly, If your skin is so thin as to take such offense at a "percieved" wrong such as Mike's answer, you need to learn to fish. Umpiring is gonna give you ulcers!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

3 points

1. mike was not being sarcastic
2. nsc was probably frustrated with this question and just did not get it. the light bulb just did not lite up imo and he was asking for help in understanding it. thiis was the second time asking about it
3. sorry. kudos to dave for his oustanding tact, tone and gentleness in walk4ing nsc through the question and thinking

it was only today after reading 5 million times the rule on batting out of order and who bats next in this year's rule book that i could understand it. it used to be one sentence after another and the writer's use of player bambozzle me beyond comprehension. this year it is by numbers and it clicked.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:29pm
In Time Out

Quote:

Then don't visit the baseball forum. My guess is you are one he was referring to in a sarcastic comment. If you're going to disrespect a poster, at least do it on the same forum. Don't worry, I'm on his exclusive ignore list over there, so he can't see what I saying...............HEHEHEHE.

To honest, he can be knowledgeable, but Katie, bar the door if he is wrong. Must be an OCD thing I guess. He'll probably pop when he sees my name though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
PERFECT response.

I agree... but then again, I said that once and was ripped for being too hard on a new guy. "Why can't you just answer the question ..." yada yada.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed May 09, 2012 at 11:50pm.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Then don't visit the baseball forum. My guess is you are one he was referring to in a sarcastic comment. If you're going to disrespect a poster, at least do it on the same forum. Don't worry, I'm on his exclusive ignore list over there, so he can't see what I saying...............HEHEHEHE.

To honest, he can be knowledgeable, but Katie, bar the door if he is wrong. Must be an OCD thing I guess. He'll probably pop when he sees my name though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
PERFECT response.

I agree... but then again, I said that once and was ripped for being too hard on a new guy. "Why can't you just answer the question ..." yada yada.
No, that did not refer to him. The incident I was referring to was a while back - and I honestly don't remember who.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Folks..

All too often typed posts on a forum without the effect of delivering the same message in person loses a lot of translation. An amazing amount of our verbal communication is non verbal!

Nsc.. I believe you should give Mike another chance... he has the knowledge and desire to help as do many others on here who do sometimes come off as sarcastic.

In ASA slowpitch, starting with an EP means you have an 11 player batting lineup the entire game. Any 10 play defense. But you have to have 11 in the batting order at all times you can't go to 10. If you lose a player and have no eligible subs then you go shorthanded.. you still have 10 playing defense but when that vacated spot in the 11-player batting order comes around you have an out.

In ASA coed you can either bat 10 or use the EPs (one male and one female) but you have to use both and have a 12-player batting order the entire game.