The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

I am a coach looking for some guidance on calling obstruction. Situation was: I had runner on second with two outs. Bloop single to center field. Shortstop is in the baseline, and my runner and the shorstop do the hokey pokey before my runner gets past. I see the umpire put his fist out, so I waive my runner home figuring that, if she is out, the call won't stand because of the obstruction call. She was in fact out, and the out stood as I was told that the obstruction call only got her to the next base (which at the time was third). Is that the correct call?

Seems odd to me since she would have easily scored had the shortstop not obstructed her. If that is the correct call, why not have your shortstop do that on all base hits?

Thanks in advance for any interpretations here.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Sounds like your umpire didn't read it the way you did since your runner was only protected to 3B. His judgment vs yours. He wins.

I've told coaches (who've asked) that when obstruction is called, have your runner advance to the next base, since the obstructed runner can't be called out between the bases she was obstructed - keeping in mind that interference trumps obstruction. After reaching the next base, now you must coach the runner as if there was no obstruction since you can't read the umpire's mind to determine to where your runner is protected. If you think she can make the following base send her and live with the results. If not, hold her and be safe. If she was protected to the following base, the umpire will award her that base.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I think MNBlue covered the answer, but I want to clarify one part of the rule.

Obstruction awards the runner the base they would have obtained in the umpires judgement had there not been any obstruction. So if there was no turning themselves about(bad hokey pokey reference, I know) with the short stop then what base would that runner have obtained?? You think it would have been home, the umpire felt it was only 3B (or they misapplied the obstruction rule and only gave one base which is WRONG, they should get whatever base in their judgement they would have obtained...could be back a base depending on the situation). This is why MNBlue's comment is so important you have to be careful as a coach sending runners past the base they were obstructed because you can't read the umpires mind. Most umpires will drop the delayed dead ball signal some time during the play (hard to run with one wing sticking out) some will try to show the signal again after they reach the next base if they are still protecting that runner, but again this isn't always done due to different situations that occur.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mark nailed it....

I have had similar conversation with coaches about the type of play you describe and my question to them is: Would you have sent the runner if I didn't signal the obstruction?

The answer is usually: Well, no...

Coach the game in front of you and not to what the umpire is doing.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Dave and MN Blue have covered the play.

I would add that as a coach, you need to know this concept and the interference concept like the back of your hand. Obviously, this umpire knew it had occurred and signaled it. You knowing the parameters of the rule would have ensured at least your runner staying at third and maybe getting awarded home.

Anytime you are in a game or at home thinking about the game and you say to yourself "I think," then you need to get the book out or come ask us or one of your local umpires. Most will be glad to answer your questions.

Thanks for the question.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

@ Andy — to answer the question that you ask coaches, no, I would not have sent the runner if the question was would she be out or safe. However, the reason she would have been out is because she had to slow down doing the hokey pokey to get around the shortstop. Had the obstruction not occurred in the first place, I am pretty confident it would have been an easy score.

Thanks for all the explanations guys. They have been very helpful.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stiff View Post
...However, the reason she would have been out is because she had to slow down doing the hokey pokey to get around the shortstop. Had the obstruction not occurred in the first place, I am pretty confident it would have been an easy score...
That is a judgment that will be made by the umpire, and if he agreed with you, there would be no need to send the runner, since he would award the player home anyway. But, if he does not agree with you, the out at home will stand.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

One of my favorite comments to coaches:

Coach the game and players, not the call.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seems odd to me since she would have easily scored had the shortstop not obstructed her. If that is the correct call, why not have your shortstop do that on all base hits?

Thanks in advance for any interpretations here.
How close was the play at home? Out on a "banger," 5 feet, 30 feet, etc?
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Close Play

It was a close play at the plate. I actually thought she was safe because the catcher swiped the tag and it looked from my angle that she missed the tag, but I don't argue judgement calls. As a football referee of 32 years, I know I don't appreciate coaches who scream and yell, so I act accordingly.

Dave's explanation was very good. Thank you. The main thing is, that as a coach, I will no longer automatically waive the runner home if that happens again. I have learned something.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a close play at the plate. I actually thought she was safe because the catcher swiped the tag and it looked from my angle that she missed the tag, but I don't argue judgement calls. As a football referee of 32 years, I know I don't appreciate coaches who scream and yell, so I act accordingly.

Dave's explanation was very good. Thank you. The main thing is, that as a coach, I will no longer automatically waive the runner home if that happens again. I have learned something.
The reason I asked how close the play was is because that should be some indication as to whether the umpire should have "protected" your runner all the way to home plate. When a runner is obstructed and thrown out on a very close play, you can almost always bet that the runner should be awarded that base. Obstruction is a rule of equity, so he should protect the runner to the base she would have had had she not been obstruction. The umpire doesn't have to make up his mind immediately at the time of the obstruction. He can let the play continue and use what happens as evidence as to what base the runner who have received had she not been obstructed.

Umpires are (should be) taught to err on the side of protecting the runner too far rather than not far enough. Otherwise, the defense might as well obstruct every runner that they have no chance of getting out.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I don't Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The reason I asked how close the play was is because that should be some indication as to whether the umpire should have "protected" your runner all the way to home plate. When a runner is obstructed and thrown out on a very close play, you can almost always bet that the runner should be awarded that base. Obstruction is a rule of equity, so he should protect the runner to the base she would have had had she not been obstruction. The umpire doesn't have to make up his mind immediately at the time of the obstruction. He can let the play continue and use what happens as evidence as to what base the runner who have received had she not been obstructed.

Umpires are (should be) taught to err on the side of protecting the runner too far rather than not far enough. Otherwise, the defense might as well obstruct every runner that they have no chance of getting out.
The umpire should determine the base the runner would have obtained at the time of the obstruction. Subsequent action is irrelevant. I will give you some examples.

Example 1: R1 on 1st. Outfield playing in. A base hit to the outfield. R1 is obstructed between 1st and 2nd. The umpire judges she would have only made 2nd. F9 misses the cut off and the ball sails over to the third base fence. R1 tries for third and is put out. What do you have? I have an out because the errant throw was irrelevant.

Example 2: R1 on 1st. A base hit to the outfield. It's in the gap. R1 is obstructed between 1st and 2nd. The umpire determines she would have obtained 3rd. R1 rounds 2nd hesitates and then tries for third and is out by a good 5 feet. What do you have? I have obstruction and I award 3rd. The fact that she hesitated is irrelevant.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

"The umpire should determine the base the runner would have obtained at the time of the obstruction. Subsequent action is irrelevant."

thats just wrong
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
"The umpire should determine the base the runner would have obtained at the time of the obstruction. Subsequent action is irrelevant."

thats just wrong
Except that it's not wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

wouldnt it be difficult to determine an award until all action has stopped? try this one...a basehit to right field. batter-runner gets obstructed rounding first ,never breaking stride. you determine her protection at the time of the obstruction to be second base even though the ball hasnt reached the fielder yet? ( not sure how can determine that) but the ball gets past the outfielder and the runner is thrown out on a banger at third. you still have her out?. you dont determine what would have happened had there been no obstruction?

Last edited by umpire12; Fri May 18, 2012 at 10:20am.