The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post
As a recruiter, trainer and assignor, and occasionally a UIC, I see myself as a manager of a business and my product is umpires. I think a happy staff is more productive. Plus I've worked for guys who lead by fear and intimidation and it's not fun.
Ok, I guess joking around is not your thing, either.

SRW and the Seattle-area umpire association are fully capable of defending themselves, but as I understand it the prohibition against timers on the fence is a long-standing policy in the Seattle area that all umpires should be aware of. The penalty for ignoring/rebelling against/being ignorant of the policy being seizing of the timer is also well established, and the dressing down described may be appropriate in light of all of that.

It is a policy that from time-to-time is on the receiving end of some lighthearted ribbing on this board.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Ok, I guess joking around is not your thing, either.

SRW and the Seattle-area umpire association are fully capable of defending themselves, but as I understand it the prohibition against timers on the fence is a long-standing policy in the Seattle area that all umpires should be aware of. The penalty for ignoring/rebelling against/being ignorant of the policy being seizing of the timer is also well established, and the dressing down described may be appropriate in light of all of that.

It is a policy that from time-to-time is on the receiving end of some lighthearted ribbing on this board.
I understand that, I've been on this board since '04 and for some reason didn't have posting privileges til last month. I was wondering what his reasons were.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Patrick, read through this thread from 2008. It should explain what you're asking.
Countdown Timer
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Reading through that old thread, I saw that someone had posted about the timer I've been using for the past few years. I love this thing! It has a clock, countdown timer and alarm. The face plate slides closed so you can put it in your pocket or ball bag without accidently bumping any of the buttons or damaging the display. It's turned out to be one of my most often used and trusted pieces of umpire equipment.

But....I was shocked to see that this simple little timer sells for $45! No way would I pay that. I found mine at a garage sale for fifty cents!

My Countdown Timer
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Reading through that old thread, I saw that someone had posted about the timer I've been using for the past few years. I love this thing! It has a clock, countdown timer and alarm. The face plate slides closed so you can put it in your pocket or ball bag without accidently bumping any of the buttons or damaging the display. It's turned out to be one of my most often used and trusted pieces of umpire equipment.

But....I was shocked to see that this simple little timer sells for $45! No way would I pay that. I found mine at a garage sale for fifty cents!

My Countdown Timer
If you get away from the medical field it should be cheaper. For example, here it's $30, and here it's $26. With a little more searching I think you can get it for less.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
If you get away from the medical field it should be cheaper. For example, here it's $30, and here it's $26. With a little more searching I think you can get it for less.
I did find that timer for a cheaper price on other websites. Even $26 seems kind of high for something that can't cost more than a couple of bucks to manufacture. But if mine ever dies on me, I might just have to spring for a new one. This is the best...timer...ever!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

I still have a working Honig's 45C indicator with the timer/clock thing in it.

Don't know why those are not available any more, but I see them on E-Bay once in a while.