View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Irish Ripple
This happened last night in an ASA 12-U SP game. Bases empty, ball hit to pitcher, she throws to 1B. One umpire crew (as always) stands behind the plate waiting to make the call. Anyhow, as the ball is arriving 1B, expecting a routine play, he so nonchalantly makes an out call, and then turns his head away. Well, as we all know, there is no such thing as a routine play, especially with kids. Yup, you guessed it, the ball goes into her glove, and bounces right back out, runner is safe, right? Nope…blue would not even attempt to change his call, and his only answer was that he didn’t see it. That was his job to see it! In my opinion, he was embarrassed by not watching the play through its entirety, so he had to stick with his original call.

Anyhow, I’m curious to know how some of you guys would have handled this. We all make mistakes, even umpires. Why not drop the ego for a minute and make the right call? I’m sure everyone in the ballpark would respect this guy more for doing the right thing. I know I would have regardless what team I was cheering for.

JP
Granted, his mechanics were terrible, but if he didn't see it, he didn't see it! Does he have to eat the call? Absolutely, no other way around it. Does he tolerate a bit more heat for missing it? If he's smart, he does. That is the end of the story as far as the call goes.

The best way to handle it is to fess up to the offended coach.

"Coach, I made a mistake and turned my head. I wish I could help, but I cannot reverse a call based on something that I did not see. I'm sorry, I will do my best to pick up my game to a level to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for understanding."

If the coach wants to continue the debate, the umpire should allow him to have his say, but when all is said and done, it is over. First word out of the coach after that concerning the faux pas, you stop and go talk to the coach and tell him the play is over and the rest of us are moving on. If he chooses to maintain an antagonistic attitude, he may do so in the parking lot.