The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Assist? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90821-assist.html)

MD Longhorn Fri Apr 27, 2012 01:12pm

Assist?

R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd, 2 outs. Ball hit to left.

R1 crosses the plate easily, but misses the plate. R2 crosses the plate. Coach prevents R1 from entering the dugout and tells her to touch the plate, which she does.

Defensive coach calls time and asks, "Why don't we have an out for that coach pushing his player back to touch the plate?"

How do you answer this question?

SpringtownHawk Fri Apr 27, 2012 01:26pm

R1 can't retouch after a subsequent runner has scored.

MNBlue Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringtownHawk (Post 839159)

Hence, you can't assist that runner.

MD Longhorn Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringtownHawk (Post 839159)

Hmmm... say that to the coach, and all you'll get is a blank stare... he asked you why there's no out for assisting the runner.

MD Longhorn Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 839162)
Hence, you can't assist that runner.

So do you say what ST said and add this? (PS to all --- I'm not asking the rule. I know the rule. I'm asking you how YOU would answer that exact question from the coach.)

MNBlue Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 839168)
So do you say what ST said and add this? (PS to all --- I'm not asking the rule. I know the rule. I'm asking you how YOU would answer that exact question from the coach.)

No, you have to dumb it down - they're coaches.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 839156)

R1 crosses the plate easily, but misses the plate. R2 crosses the plate. Coach prevents R1 from entering the dugout and tells her to touch the plate, which she does.

Defensive coach calls time and asks, "Why don't we have an out for that coach pushing his player back to touch the plate?"

How did the coach prevent R1 from entering dugout?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Apr 27, 2012 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 839171)
No, you have to dumb it down - they're coaches.

Absolutely, too dumb to have one of his players appeal the missed base.

MTD, Sr.

ronald Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:53pm

coach i never saw the coach push the runner back to the plate. as you describe the situation, this is a valid answer.

cteben Sun Apr 29, 2012 03:58am

because coach, in this play, the lead runner can no longer be assisted.

or for you purists, "coach the rules will not allow me"

(pause for blank stare)
now coach do you have another question?

Gulf Coast Blue Sun Apr 29, 2012 06:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 839156)

How did the coach stop the player from entering the dugout.......important.....

jOEL

EsqUmp Sun Apr 29, 2012 07:20am

This is certainly an odd one. I think that I would softly turn the conversation toward one about appeals and let the coach figure it out.

There seems to be a blending of two different rules: 1 - physically assisting a runner & 2 - touching or retouching bases in a legal order. While they should be read together, I'm not so sure that they should be blended into one.

Can you not assist someone to do something that they aren't permitted to do?

The rules say (for the 'purists') that you can't assist a runner after they have scored. The fact that another runner has also score neither changes the fact that R1 scored (albeit missing home plate) and 2 that the coach physically assisted her back to the base. I do see the trouble with the "assist" part but nothing seems to say you still can't have an out for that.

Either way, I should be walking away with an out.

x-tremeump Sun Apr 29, 2012 07:49am

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqump (Post 839392)
this is certainly an odd one. I think that i would softly turn the conversation toward one about appeals and let the coach figure it out.

There seems to be a blending of two different rules: 1 - physically assisting a runner & 2 - touching or retouching bases in a legal order. While they should be read together, i'm not so sure that they should be blended into one.

Can you not assist someone to do something that they aren't permitted to do?

The rules say (for the 'purists') that you can't assist a runner after they have scored. The fact that another runner has also score neither changes the fact that r1 scored (albeit missing home plate) and 2 that the coach physically assisted her back to the base. I do see the trouble with the "assist" part but nothing seems to say you still can't have an out for that.

Either way, i should be walking away with an out.

+1 (out)

BretMan Sun Apr 29, 2012 08:24am

No one likes an OOJ (Overly-Officious Jerk).

If the runner going back to touch the plate is moot, then I would say that any assistance from the coach is also moot.

HugoTafurst Sun Apr 29, 2012 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cteben (Post 839382)
because coach, in this play, the lead runner can no longer be assisted.

or for you purists, "coach the rules will not allow me"

(pause for blank stare)
now coach do you have another question?

I like that