The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Missed these two questions on test, what is right answer?

missed these two on my test today, got 48 out of 50 but they wont give answers yet

R3 is caught in a rundown between third and home. As R3 is attempting to return to third, she is obstructed by F5 and subsequently tagged while off the base by F6. Which of the following is true?

a.The umpire should call dead ball immediately when the obstruction occurs, and award the runner home
b.The umpire should signal a delayed dead ball when the obstruction occurs, call dead ball when R3 is tagged out, and award the runner third base
c.The umpire should signal a delayed dead ball when the obstruction occurs, call dead ball when R3 is tagged out, and award the runner home
d.None are correct e.The umpire should call dead ball immediately when the obstruction occurs, and award the runner third base

R3 is on third base and the infield is in for a potential play at the plate. B1 hits a ball sharply down the third base line. The batted ball strikes R3 while she is standing on third base. What should the umpire do?

a.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Award B1 first base and leave R3 on third.
b.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Award B1 first base and call R3 out.
c.Make no immediate call and the ball remains alive.
d.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Call both R3 and B1 out. e.None are correct
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

R3 is caught in a rundown between third and home. As R3 is attempting to return to third, she is obstructed by F5 and subsequently tagged while off the base by F6. Which of the following is true?

a.The umpire should call dead ball immediately when the obstruction occurs, and award the runner home
b.The umpire should signal a delayed dead ball when the obstruction occurs, call dead ball when R3 is tagged out, and award the runner third base
c.The umpire should signal a delayed dead ball when the obstruction occurs, call dead ball when R3 is tagged out, and award the runner home
d.None are correct e.The umpire should call dead ball immediately when the obstruction occurs, and award the runner third base

R3 is on third base and the infield is in for a potential play at the plate. B1 hits a ball sharply down the third base line. The batted ball strikes R3 while she is standing on third base. What should the umpire do? The assumption is this is a fair ball

a.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Award B1 first base and leave R3 on third.
b.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Award B1 first base and call R3 out.
d.Call an immediate dead ball for hitting R3. Call both R3 and B1 out. e.None are correct
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

R3 is on third base and the infield is in for a potential play at the plate. B1 hits a ball sharply down the third base line. The batted ball strikes R3 while she is standing on third base. What should the umpire do? The assumption is this is a fair ball

What Whitey said....
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

And be prepared for screaming from the OC on question 1....
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
And be prepared for screaming from the OC on question 1....
I actually had the privilege of making that exact call in HOF Stadium a few years back.

Heard it from the entire 3B dugout until I told them one person for discussion.

Coach: What kind of call is that?
Me: OBS, third baseman
Coach: But she threw the ball to the catcher
Me: Correct and then failed to get out of the base path, runner had to go around her
Coach: But she just threw the ball to the catcher
Me: You are absolutely correct; And then she OBS the runner
Coach: But she threw...........

Guess he didn't like the smile on my face at that point in time and retreated to the dugout. Sometimes coaches provide some great entertainment.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary23 View Post
missed these two on my test today, got 48 out of 50 but they wont give answers yet

R3 is on third base and the infield is in for a potential play at the plate. B1 hits a ball sharply down the third base line. The batted ball strikes R3 while she is standing on third base. What should the umpire do?

Mike gave the answers --- what did you initially answer, and why? What do the relevant rules say?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
What Whitey said....
Wait.......I thought Steve was Whitey.......
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wait.......I thought Steve was Whitey.......
I get them confused..they all look alike... white...old...
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I got this question wrong on the NFHS test:

Knee and ankle braces that are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design/production are permitted if all exposed hinges are padded or covered.

True or False

How would you answer?

I have the scored answer and reference, but don't have my Fed book with me. Will check the reference later.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 11:41am. Reason: spacing
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

3-2-13. I believe that was one of the changes from last year. No padding required if unaltered from manufacture
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

Knee and ankle braces that are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design/production are permitted if all exposed hinges are padded or covered.

True or False

How would you answer?

I have the scored answer and reference, but don't have my Fed book with me. Will check the reference later.
3-2-13: Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, splints, etc.) must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than 1/2" think. Knee and ankle braces which are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design/production do not require any additional padding/covering.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

True or False

How would you answer?

I'd answer true on a logic test, but I'd say they expect false. Usually I assume a question worded like this means. The rule is that: .... Which is false, even though the statement is true.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

True or False

How would you answer?

3.2.13 Knee and ankle braces which are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design/production do not require any additional padding/covering.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
3.2.13 Knee and ankle braces which are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design/production do not require any additional padding/covering.
Which makes the answer false, even though the statement is true.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Only If....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Which makes the answer false, even though the statement is true.
Only if you are saying that "if all exposed hinges are padded or covered" is not part of the statement. However, this phrase is part of the statement, which makes the statement false.