The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
It does seem that R2 shouldn't be given home. She did touch 3rd before the ball was dead, but it wasn't a "legal" touch.
What do you think "legal" touch means?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 07:56am

Quote:
It does seem that R2 shouldn't be given home. She did touch 3rd before the ball was dead, but it wasn't a "legal" touch.

Another question, How does the defense make a dead ball appeal?

Thanks for all the help.
I agree it seems to defy logic, that's the rule. But think of it this way: when a runner is running the bases and the ball becomes dead, a "snapshot" of the runners' position is taken. The only thing that matters is the ball became dead and now you need to know where the runners were at that moment.

MB is correct. Just give the proper awards and let the offense figure it out. A calm explanation to the DC might keep him/her in the game, but that's a big "might." Don't let the DC distract you from observing the runners. Umpires need to know exactly what they did during the dead ball awards!
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
I don't see how R2 can be awarded home. A catch was made. The runner must go back to second to tag up before she can advance. How can you award her home after a caught fly ball. Logically, it seems to me, she can be awarded 3rd, IF she goes back to second first but not home because she didn't pay attention to the catch. What am I missing?
You're missing the exact verbiage in the rule. Everything you say is logical... it just isn't what the rules says. This is the reason I said it was stupid... I think ALL of us would consider the award of 3rd to be the most "fair" - but fair is not always what we're told to do by the rules at hand... and this case is one of those.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You are missing that the award is based on the last base touched at the time the ball becomes dead.
That is true, but it is not the base she can legally touch after the catch. she must start at 2nd after the catch before she can touch 3rd.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see how R2 can be awarded home. A catch was made. The runner must go back to second to tag up before she can advance. How can you award her home after a caught fly ball. Logically, it seems to me, she can be awarded 3rd, IF she goes back to second first but not home because she didn't pay attention to the catch. What am I missing?
>>" The runner must go back to second to tag up before she can advance."<<

Think about that a bit. Suppose she left early on any other fly ball out, rounded third and scored BUT WAS NEVER APPEALED what would the call be?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is true, but it is not the base she can legally touch after the catch. she must start at 2nd after the catch before she can touch 3rd.
Why?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes she is subject to appeal for leaving early, but there's nothing illegal about touching 3rd. The rule is very clear here. (Ignore logic or fairness - they are out the window here). The rule says they get 1 base beyond where they were WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OF PLAY.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Another question, How does the defense make a dead ball appeal?

Thanks for all the help.
Which rule can you cite that says bases must be touched legally to be considered in awarding bases? The rules I read say based on their location at the time of ....... (the throw, the pitch, etc.).

Dead ball appeal; request and receive "time (if the ball isn't already dead), and any infielder (including pitcher and catcher), with or without the ball, tells the nearest umpire that they wish to appeal, and what they are appealing. If it is the wrong umpire, it should be relayed to the proper umpire to rule. Ball is dead, no runners can advance, no ball needs to be thrown, taken anywhere, tag anyone ..... Wow, how simple.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

If you think that giving the runner from 2nd home because she reached 3rd base is bad, consider this: R1 on 1st base thinks that there are two outs. The batter hits a long fly ball. R1 is off with the pitch and never even considers tagging up. In fact, she has already rounded 2nd base when the ball is caught. Now she is between 2nd & 3rd base when the outfielder releases the ball to 1st base and the ball goes out of play, R1 is awarded HOME!

Two bases from the time of the throw. R1 gets 3rd base and home.

I'm not looking to addresses "re-touching" or appeals. I just want to show you that by rule, sometimes runners may get more than what seemed fair. But then again, that's why we have appeals!
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
>>" The runner must go back to second to tag up before she can advance."<<

Think about that a bit. Suppose she left early on any other fly ball out, rounded third and scored BUT WAS NEVER APPEALED what would the call be?
Ok, now that makes sense. I just had to get it straight in my mind. Thanks for the good discussion.