The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 09:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, Now I'm A Parent

In today's game:

R1 and R2: shot hit up the middle and F6 chases it down, throws to the lawn chairs behind 1B, and the ump does nothing.

Then the 5 year olds had juice, cheese and crackers, and we took ours out for ice cream. A good time was had by all at the t-ball game.

I kept thinking, "they all get ice cream after the game, and that's what matters."
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ha ha,

Lots (well, some) t-balls have a "no base on overthrow" rule.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Ha ha,

Lots (well, some) t-balls have a "no base on overthrow" rule.
Funny, but it's quite a circus out there being parent. My son is playing travel ball and I'm amazed at the calls we get week after week.

Today, BR squares, makes a huge attempt at the ball that is way over his head.
Umpire calls it a ball. Coach asks, and he says, "the ball was out of the strike zone."

thanks
David
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In today's game:

R1 and R2: shot hit up the middle and F6 chases it down, throws to the lawn chairs behind 1B, and the ump does nothing.
So did you yell at him and tell him to go back to T-ball... oh, wait...
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

When my kids played T-ball, we had no umpire and didn't keep score.
That gave me more time to stare at the Mom's. Of course I picked the players with the hottest Mom's.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
When my kids played T-ball, we had no umpire and didn't keep score.
That gave me more time to stare at the Mom's. Of course I picked the players with the hottest Mom's.
My mother-in-law signed up my 4-year-old for a tumbling class at the local YMCA. I hesitantly took him the first week since the wife had to work; I volunteered to take him all the other weeks, simply because of the other moms.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 11:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I volunteered to take him all the other weeks, simply because of the other moms.
Mark Padgett (basketball forum) would be so proud of this post!
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
My mother-in-law signed up my 4-year-old for a tumbling class at the local YMCA. I hesitantly took him the first week since the wife had to work; I volunteered to take him all the other weeks, simply because of the other moms.
Thats the only advantage of working the young kids, games occasionally. Hot Mom's.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 02:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

This thread is finally talking about the very important stuff, the moms. :-)
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

When my kids played their one year of T ball, the field was all grass, the distance to 1b about 70 feet, to 2b about 90 feet, to 3rd about 80 feet and to home 50 feet, and the parents kept score on backs of envelopes, because nobody else was. Every player who showed up played in the field, all at once and there were about 15 on a team. Parents cheered (or you might call it screaming at the top of their lungs), and there were no umpires.

And one family was designated to bring the juice and snacks for every post game cool down.

No one got trophies at the end of season and all players kept their T shirts and hats.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jun 26, 2011 at 02:38pm.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 03:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
When my kids played their one year of T ball, the field was all grass, the distance to 1b about 70 feet, to 2b about 90 feet, to 3rd about 80 feet and to home 50 feet, and the parents kept score on backs of envelopes, because nobody else was. Every player who showed up played in the field, all at once and there were about 15 on a team. Parents cheered (or you might call it screaming at the top of their lungs), and there were no umpires.

And one family was designated to bring the juice and snacks for every post game cool down.

No one got trophies at the end of season and all players kept their T shirts and hats.
best post of the day...all threads
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every player who showed up played in the field, all at once and there were about 15 on a team.
And every ball hit was swarmed by at least 5 of them.

When I played my first year of soccer (I was between 6 and 8), it was the same. Wherever the ball was, there were 10 kids around it trying to kick it. My dad taught me early on to stay outside the pile and wait for the ball to come out. Worked like a charm.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Exactly. The "umpire" is a young woman who works for the YMCA. She's there mainly to administer the Y oath and put the T up after the kids miss three pitches from the coach.

The first game, a few of us Dad's actually stood in the field with our kids.

Halfway through the first inning; "Dad, could you find some food cause I'm getting hungry."

Halfway through the second inning; "I don't want to play anymore."
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~ I can't remember the last time I drove through the neighborhood and saw kids or a dad and his son playing catch on their lawn. Heaven forbid to have a dozen kids get together for a pickup game at a local park. We spent endless hours playing rundown, whiffleball and shagging flies. The average kid gets, what, 12 to 15 games a season with a couple of ABs and a couple of innings in the field then chucks his glove in the closet to go do something else that is more fun. It's kinda sad to see that happen.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

One inning of t-ball is the most exciting three hours of your life. -- David Letterman.