The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   To bail out or not to bail out? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90522-bail-out-not-bail-out.html)

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836860)
Ill put it like this then, since you missed my point. He's twisting until the half inning when I can chat with him and figure out what is going on.

It's likely that YOU would not have failed to call it - you are not a rookie who either doesn't know the rules or doesn't know his responsibilities. PU should not ignore an obvious infraction just to appease a BU who is not doing his job (for whatever reason). Especially an infraction such as the OP where "everyone" saw it but BU. Twice. Allowing it to continue gives an advantage to the offense not intended by the rules, and DOES make the crew look bad.

And in our neck of the woods, making such a call is not abnormal. Making this call at third or first might generate some cause for consternation --- but 2B is right in the sight-line of the plate umpire.

Dakota Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836860)
Ill put it like this then, since you missed my point. He's twisting until the half inning when I can chat with him and figure out what is going on.

I didn't miss your point; perhaps you missed my sarcasm. In the OPs example, the umpire crew (and especially the BU) already look bad and have lost credibility. Not making the call makes things worse wrt credibility.

CecilOne Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 836874)
perhaps you missed my sarcasm.

That early in AZ requires :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

azbigdawg Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 836874)
I didn't miss your point; perhaps you missed my sarcasm. In the OPs example, the umpire crew (and especially the BU) already look bad and have lost credibility. Not making the call makes things worse wrt credibility.

Sorry...not trying to be a jerk..just trying to get info. I apologize if I was rude.....

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836841)
For those of you that do, WHY do you do it?

(other than because you can)

How often do you do it?

Is it something you do with a seasoned partner or do you only do it with a rookie?

It's still something I would never do, and I would take great exception if it was called by the plate umpire while I was on the bases.

It's also one of those things that gets brought up at schools, and the consensus has always been that it's one of those things thats better left to the base umpire. (credibility).

I do it for the same reason a U3 has the runner leaving 1B early with the bases loaded or 1&3, because it is in my line of vision as I am watching the pitcher's feet.

We all have different angles and just because you are standing in a certain spot doesn't mean you can see everything you need to see for every call. I've worked 6-umpire games and while you can try to surround all the plays, it is still possible to not have the necessary angle to see the whole play.

This is why when I have a question and a crew comes off the field, I don't ask, "Why didn't you call (enter infraction here)?" I ask, "what did you see on this play?"

The crew is the team and they should work as such. I certainly wouldn't expect my partner to be sitting back behind the plate snickering, "what a putz! Moron should be calling that runner out for leaving early." Especially if it is something that even the concession lady saw from the next field. :D

JefferMC Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 836896)
I do it for the same reason a U3 has the runner leaving 1B early with the bases loaded or 1&3, because it is in my line of vision as I am watching the pitcher's feet.

Isn't that the BU's job? :D

Dakota Wed Apr 11, 2012 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836882)
Sorry...not trying to be a jerk..just trying to get info. I apologize if I was rude.....

No worries; I didn't take what you wrote as rude.

HugoTafurst Wed Apr 11, 2012 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC (Post 836913)

Who usually calls a pitching lane violation?

Dakota Wed Apr 11, 2012 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 836944)

Nobody! :D

azbigdawg Wed Apr 11, 2012 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 836954)
Nobody! :D

This.......

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 11, 2012 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC (Post 836913)

And the umpire at 3rd isn't a BU?:cool:

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 836764)
As PU, runner on 2nd leaves so early noone can miss it. BU doesn't call it. Next pitch same thing, do you bail him out or let him twist in the wind?

Leaving early is like obstruction......if you see it........call it.

No need for permission.

Joel

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836841)
For those of you that do, WHY do you do it?

(other than because you can)

How often do you do it?

Is it something you do with a seasoned partner or do you only do it with a rookie?

It's still something I would never do, and I would take great exception if it was called by the plate umpire while I was on the bases.

It's also one of those things that gets brought up at schools, and the consensus has always been that it's one of those things thats better left to the base umpire. (credibility).

I have called it several times behind the plate with a partner...always on a runner from 2nd....granted.....most of the times were with an unseasoned partner.

Once with a partner who admittedly was not paying attention.......

I do not go looking for boogers on baserunning infractions.....but when one grossly presents itself......I don't ignore it.

Joel

It must be a gross error on the Base Runner.

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 836944)

I have a few times........usually with lefties that I was familiar with.......Two were travel ball teammates of my daughter......their dads were not real happy with me.

Joel

CecilOne Thu Apr 12, 2012 09:33am

This is a bit like the Mechanics Review topic, the part about whether calling in the partner's area is taboo or not. Are we being consistent with that one?
Why is it ok for a PU to call early at a base or OBS at base, but not ok for a BU to call OBS at the plate?