The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Fastpitch: Batter's Location in Batter's Box Compared to Plate (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90219-fastpitch-batters-location-batters-box-compared-plate.html)

SoftballGuy247 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33am

Fastpitch: Batter's Location in Batter's Box Compared to Plate

As a longtime coach (15 years) of fastpitch softball and player (15 years) of baseball, I was taken aback the other day when I realized that for all this time I might not have truly understood the strike zone. I would ask for some of my expert umpires to assist in clarifying the following scenario:

Batter stands in very back of batter's box, thus putting home plate in front of the batter's front leg/knee. Pitch is delivered by pitcher, crosses the plate within the knee-to-armpit strike zone, but then falls out of the zone below the front knee of the batter.

My question is this: Is the strike zone in fastpitch softball considered at what height the ball crosses the plate, irregardless of where it crosses the batter? Or does the ball need to cross the plate AND the batter in the strike zone?

I realize the scenario of having a batter in the very back of the box in fastpitch might be rare, but I would like to get a clarification so I can correct my thinking that may have been wrong for 30 years! Thanks all!

IRISHMAFIA Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftballGuy247 (Post 834049)
As a longtime coach (15 years) of fastpitch softball and player (15 years) of baseball, I was taken aback the other day when I realized that for all this time I might not have truly understood the strike zone. I would ask for some of my expert umpires to assist in clarifying the following scenario:

Batter stands in very back of batter's box, thus putting home plate in front of the batter's front leg/knee. Pitch is delivered by pitcher, crosses the plate within the knee-to-armpit strike zone, but then falls out of the zone below the front knee of the batter.

My question is this: Is the strike zone in fastpitch softball considered at what height the ball crosses the plate, irregardless of where it crosses the batter? Or does the ball need to cross the plate AND the batter in the strike zone?

I realize the scenario of having a batter in the very back of the box in fastpitch might be rare, but I would like to get a clarification so I can correct my thinking that may have been wrong for 30 years! Thanks all!

The batter's location is irrelevant. The strike zone remains adjacent to the plate no matter where the batter positions him/herself in the batter's box

EsqUmp Sun Mar 25, 2012 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 834050)
The batter's location is irrelevant. The strike zone remains adjacent to the plate no matter where the batter positions him/herself in the batter's box

And in fastpitch, if you call your strike zone like that, they will run you out of most towns and ask you not to come back.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Mar 25, 2012 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 834246)
And in fastpitch, if you call your strike zone like that, they will run you out of most towns and ask you not to come back.

Wow, over 45 years and I'm still working in this and other towns. Go figure.

I wonder why that is?

x-tremeump Sun Mar 25, 2012 09:32pm

xtreamump

What I have learned with the game getting even faster every day with the running left hand slap hitters, bunter/slap hitters, bunters from the front of the box for base hits, bunters from the back of the box for sacrifice, girls switching sides with 2 strikes. You really have to track the pitch, I know what the book says, these good fast-pitch teams want & need consistency in there Strike Zone. With a 7 foot by 3 foot box that is alot of real estate. Realisticly thinking that a K is always over the dish is hard to fathom.

MrRabbit Sun Mar 25, 2012 09:46pm

I hope that someone learns who EsqUmp and xtreamump work for and find out what they put in their Gator Aid.

SRW Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33am

Quote:

Wow. While I agree with the 'survivability' aspect of your comment, I do not agree with the comment in whole.

SRW Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 834249)
Wow, over 45 years and I'm still working in this and other towns. Go figure.

I wonder why that is?

It's because you're an old fart.

:D;):p

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 26, 2012 06:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 834285)
It's because you're an old fart.

:D;):p

Yeah, but I wear my ear ring in the correct ear..........neither! ;) :cool: :D

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 26, 2012 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 834298)

Guess that is part of what makes me an Old Fart!

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:15am

Quote:

I know I shouldn't.... but --

You're not really suggesting that the people in your parts expect the strikezone to move forward and back with the batter, are you? Heck ... that defeats the purpose of part of the reason a coach might move his batter up or back.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 834258)
Realisticly thinking that a K is always over the dish is hard to fathom.

No... adjusting your zone based on where the batter is (especially in the case of a moving batter!) is hard to fathom. Honestly, until this thread, I've never heard a single person espouse this notion.

I don't know what you're looking at from behind the plate --- but it certainly shouldn't be the position of the batter. It's easy to call the ball based on where it is when it crosses the plate - it's consistent. Trying to adjust that forward and back is begging for inconsistency. Requiring pitchers to hit a zone that changes back and forth (especially curve ball pitchers) is completely absurd.

SRW Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 834298)

At least all of your other piercings are worn properly...

:eek:

x-tremeump Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:59am

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 834309)
No... adjusting your zone based on where the batter is (especially in the case of a moving batter!) is hard to fathom. Honestly, until this thread, I've never heard a single person espouse this notion.

I don't know what you're looking at from behind the plate --- but it certainly shouldn't be the position of the batter. It's easy to call the ball based on where it is when it crosses the plate - it's consistent. Trying to adjust that forward and back is begging for inconsistency. Requiring pitchers to hit a zone that changes back and forth (especially curve ball pitchers) is completely absurd.

I can tell that I speak GERMAN to you, I do not have thin skin, I do have proper training on tracking pitches Jim Evans MLB. The coaches want consistency. My reference to the moving batter was for the people that do not understand the Strike Zone. Where in my post did it say that the zone changes back and forth ? You guys do not like the (CLONE) Trademark that has been branded on you. That is why you have a new Forum to go to & tell War Stories. Try to live in the moment and give something to the game. Why are the few of you long time poster's so bitter ?

x-tremeump Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18am

Xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRabbit (Post 834261)
I hope that someone learns who EsqUmp and xtreamump work for and find out what they put in their Gator Aid.

Nice Post, very helpful. I like the original Gator-Aid. Don't be a hater if there are new posters on the Forum. After being on the forum, I question the same thing about some of you. Good way to get branded as a CLONE.