The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Without getting really technical about things, I have the following philosophy..especially when it comes to youth softball:

Those who need a little bit of help..get it...those who DON'T do not get it...or in other words,if in a youth league we do, in the 10-12 yr old grouping, I have a kid who shows real signs of being able to PITCH, I will call a nice 'book' zone: being tight on the corners and such; however if the kid is barely getting the ball to the plate....that zone EXPANDS....[which the league wants us to do anyways..they want their kids to swing those bats!]. I have seen in that league 11 yr old kids with LIVE arms..so much so that its hard to find kids to catch them! One kid they 'promoted' out of the age grouping she has such an explosive arm-she was the #1 JV pitcher in the school [a good solid program BTW] at age 13 last year...
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

No problem coach,I always welcome a good discussion.Basically my point of view from my experience is I call a strike zone which is acceptable with the level of play I am umpiring.I agree with you that the shrinking of the zone at the younger levels is totally unacceptable.
I am also glad to hear that you seem to put in a lot of time and effort into your coaching to give the girls a pleasurable experience.Like I said before,that is what both coaches and umpires should be in it for.I look foward to future discussions with you.Dont hesitate to ask questions or start a new subject.

Jeff
NCAA Certified
NFHS Certified
ASA Certified