The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

B int?

Had an interesting (at least to me) sitch tonight in a 12-U rec game.

B2 at bat with R1 on 2B with no outs.
B2 swings and misses, ball pops out of F2 mitt and lands in between the feet of B2 who has been standing still in the batter's box.
R1 takes off on the misplay by F2.
F2 goes for the ball under B2.
B2 backs away to allow F2 to get to ball laying still in the RH Batter's Box.
F2 picks up ball and then does not make a play on R1 who is headed to 3B.
So, no call.

BUT, what if F2 picked up the ball as B2 was giving way to F2 and in the process hinders F2 making a play on R1 at 3B?

What should be ruled here?
By the book we would have INT on B2, but really?

This is eerily similar to the OBS discussion in another thread (other board) about a defender's act that causes R to overrun base and subsequently gets put out. Similar from an affect point of view.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Under 7.4.4A fed case I would say no INT.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
This is eerily similar to the OBS discussion in another thread (other board) about a defender's act that causes R to overrun base and subsequently gets put out. Similar from an affect point of view.
If a runner is obstructed in such a way that they overrun the base then I would rule that they were obstructed both before and after the base.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

If B2 is standing still in the batter's box, I've got nothing.

Once she starts moving around in there, however, she is at risk of committing interference.

"I was trying to get out of the way" is not good enough to avoid an interference call.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

At the 12U I have nothing, with the OP. I did have the same play @ a higher level when F2 threw the ball right into the Batter attempting to throw to F5, now I have Batter INT.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

why does the age group and/or level come into play. this is interference, as described and as andy pointed out. i gave up on capital letters for at least today.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:08pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump View Post
At the 12U I have nothing, with the OP. I did have the same play @ a higher level when F2 threw the ball right into the Batter attempting to throw to F5, now I have Batter INT.
What was the batter doing to earn the int call? Just curious.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
What was the batter doing to earn the int call? Just curious.
The batter has the right to remain in the batter's box to attempt to hit the ball and any movement associated with that action. Once the batter starts doing something else, the "protection" of being in the box goes away.

As described, this batter was moving to try to get out of the way of the catcher trying to retrieve the ball and make a play on an advancing runner. Unless the umpire determines that the catcher intentionally threw the ball at the batter, the batter's actions of moving out of the way can be considered an act of interference.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:03pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The batter has the right to remain in the batter's box to attempt to hit the ball and any movement associated with that action. Once the batter starts doing something else, the "protection" of being in the box goes away.

As described, this batter was moving to try to get out of the way of the catcher trying to retrieve the ball and make a play on an advancing runner. Unless the umpire determines that the catcher intentionally threw the ball at the batter, the batter's actions of moving out of the way can be considered an act of interference.

The reason I asked was that xtremeump stated that the "catcher threw the ball right into the batter".... leading me to wonder about the details.... as always HTBT...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Unless the umpire determines that the catcher intentionally threw the ball at the batter,
This is what I envisioned from reading the description. I didn't reply because someone else already did - looking for clarification. Wondering how, if Batter is trying to avoid the catcher who is suddenly trying to grab a ball at his feet, the batter ended up getting hit with the throw. Did he simply bail from the area, but straight down the 3BL? I could see INT here. What exactly did he do to warrant interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool xtreamump

Quote:
The OP I have nothing, Pitched ball on ground with R1 on 2B @ the B1's feet, F2 picks up the ball and knows that she can not throw out R1 throws the ball anyway to F5 and hits the B1 with the throw to F5. Is that CLEAR NOW. I do not speak as well as you perfect people. I have Batter Interference. You tell me what you have. Or maybe I will have to more clearly explain my attempt to get involved.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

as always HTBT...[/QUOTE]
HTBT ????
Old Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:41am
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
as always HTBT...
HTBT ????[/QUOTE]

"Had To Be There"

My apologies if I've offended you...just trying to see what you had on the play. The Interference call always stirs a lot of interest.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

There are many shades of grey in this.. that's why there is always a lot of discussion and often no clear cut "right" answer to this kind of call. In the end it's our judgement..

Sure the batter's box is a haven but it is not absolute. As some have stated once the batter starts to move after the pitch is over she may be guilty of interference even if she is trying to get out of the way.. on the other hand at some point after a passed ball failing to vacate the batters box and the vicinity of the plate may itself be cause for and interference call on the batter who has not moved a muscle since the pitch. In once case she is out because she moved in the other she is out because she did NOT move.

Shades of grey.. F2 drops pitch and it lands at motionless batter's feet, F2 moves forward and grabs ball contacting batter who moves (or is moved) back a bit by this contact and F2 comes up ready to throw.. probably nothing. Same thing but batter pushes back at F2 and perhaps takes away a chance for a play probably INT... same play but ball roll thru batters legs and F2 has to go around motionless batter to get the ball probably nothing.. but iif batter moves and F2 and batter start doing a dance trying to get out of each others way.. hmmm.. could be interference.

This is why we get the big money.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2012, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Very well put. Thank You.