The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Pitcher's box in SP

For those of you that work slowpitch, either leagues or tournaments, are you finding the use of the "pitcher's box" becoming more common?

I'm talking about a defined area around the pitcher's plate, usually marked, that the pitcher must start the pitch from. If a ball is hit through this area, it results in some sort of warning and/or penalty to the offensive team.

I am involved with two seperate city SP leagues, in one league, if the ball is hit through the box on the fly within reach of the pitcher, the first occurrance is a warning to both teams, any occurrance after that is an out. The rule only applies if the pitcher is in the box when the ball passes through.

In the other league, any ball hit through the box within reach of the pitcher is an out, whether the pitcher is in the box or not.

I know that this is not part of ASA rules, is it part of any other asscoiation? Is there any talk of introducing some form of the box as a rule change in ASA? If it's used in your neighborhoods, how is the rule worded and enforced?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

They do not use it in my area.

How and the hell did we get so old playing the game without all this crap?

Oh, yeah, I remember now.....we knew how to hit, field and throw. Today's players just expect the equipment to do it. That is why I love it when I see a team of 30-40 somethings dump on a bunch of 20yo who cannot figure out how all the old guys got all those hits with those old bats.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that's rule 1.6 - rule 1.5 reads: 1.5 The Calvinball Field (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.3) should consist of areas, or zones, which are governed by a set of rules declared by players. Zones may be appear and disappear as often and wherever the player decides. For example, a corollary zone would enable a player to make a corollary (sub-rule) to any rule already made. Or a pernicious poem place would require the intruder to do what the name implies. Or an opposite zone would enable a player to declare reverse playibility on the others. (Remember, the player would declare this zone oppositely by not declaring it.)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Some leagues around here use a pitching zone, but that's only to allow the pitcher to start from further back (thus giving him/her more time to react to the batted ball). None of those leagues have a penalty for batting through this zone. Also, none of them seem to consider that pitching from the furthest part of that zone pretty much guarantees that the pitcher must deliver the ball at more than a moderate speed, but that's very typical of house rules.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
For those of you that work slowpitch, either leagues or tournaments, are you finding the use of the "pitcher's box" becoming more common?

I'm talking about a defined area around the pitcher's plate, usually marked, that the pitcher must start the pitch from. If a ball is hit through this area, it results in some sort of warning and/or penalty to the offensive team.

I am involved with two seperate city SP leagues, in one league, if the ball is hit through the box on the fly within reach of the pitcher, the first occurrance is a warning to both teams, any occurrance after that is an out. The rule only applies if the pitcher is in the box when the ball passes through.

In the other league, any ball hit through the box within reach of the pitcher is an out, whether the pitcher is in the box or not.

I know that this is not part of ASA rules, is it part of any other asscoiation? Is there any talk of introducing some form of the box as a rule change in ASA? If it's used in your neighborhoods, how is the rule worded and enforced?
If you are going to penalize the batter then you have to penalize the pitcher for throwing outside. If a batter has two strikes and they throw outside the batter has to swing or risk being called out on strikes. That outside pitch is often going to go up the middle. So a good pitcher who can hit that corner knows his chances of getting an out have just increased. I understand wanting to protect the players but to dictate where the offense can hit the ball is ridiculous. We already have rules for that. They are called foul lines.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

If pitcher's safety is such a concern, don't prevent the batters from hitting there, simply dress your pitchers like your catchers.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
If pitcher's safety is such a concern, don't prevent the batters from hitting there, simply dress your pitchers like your catchers.
They usually do in SP.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
If you are going to penalize the batter then you have to penalize the pitcher for throwing outside. If a batter has two strikes and they throw outside the batter has to swing or risk being called out on strikes. That outside pitch is often going to go up the middle. So a good pitcher who can hit that corner knows his chances of getting an out have just increased. I understand wanting to protect the players but to dictate where the offense can hit the ball is ridiculous. We already have rules for that. They are called foul lines.
Puh-leeeze! It's s-l-o-w-p-i-t-c-h softball. If a player has no control over where s/he hits the ball, they should quit and consider kickball.

I understand sometimes accidents happen, but any player who says s/he HAS to hit the ball someplace and they cannot help it is not a softball players, IMO.