The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:06pm
wife loves the goatee...

Red face Tag up at third

R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 AT THIRD BASE as R1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

Yes, this happened to me yesterday

Last edited by DRJ1960; Fri Mar 23, 2012 at 03:26pm. Reason: lack of adequate detail
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 as B1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

F5 is covering home? This scenario makes no sense. B1 slides into where late? How can B1 leave early or late, she's the batter.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Mar 23, 2012 at 03:20pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught never to guess an out. If you're not sure she's out, she's safe. (Mike, I'm picturing the OP as saying that R1 was returning to third.)
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 as B1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

I'm guessing that what you are not saying is that when F7 throws the ball to F5, F5 is at third base and did not tag R1 prior to R1 sliding into 3B.

So, it is either a live ball appeal with an out or it is a safe at 3B.

And your question is, "Who has the tag up responsibility at 3B with a lone runner?

Just guessing ...

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:23pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
I was taught never to guess an out. If you're not sure she's out, she's safe. (Mike, I'm picturing the OP as saying that R1 was returning to third.)
Messed up the last "R1" ...sorry
Official Forum Member

I'm going to assume that the OP means that R1 was sliding back into 3rd base after the catch was made (i.e. wouldn't have made it home regardless).

Initially, you'd have to ascertain whether the players were making an appeal on leaving early or a play on a runner off base (the no accidental appeal discussion). If the former, you weren't able to see whether they left early and therefore the initial call would be 'safe' pending any further discussions/information. If the latter, unless a tag was applied before the runner slide into 3rd, also 'safe'.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the ball needs to come to 3B. F5 could be standing anywhere. and it needs to be R1, not B1
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree; I call that runner safe at third. I then call time to confer with my partner, because they have just made a live ball appeal, and the PU has that tag in 2 man, not me!!

When we leave the conference, I (BU) am either confirming my call, or changing it; not having the PU appear to overturn my call by announcing his ruling on the appeal.

There is no good way on this play; PU has the tag, but generally unable to get close enough, along with expecting a possible play at the plate. BU doesn't have tag responsibility, but has an apparent play back into third. make your (safe) call, then get together.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I agree; I call that runner safe at third. I then call time to confer with my partner, because they have just made a live ball appeal, and the PU has that tag in 2 man, not me!!

When we leave the conference, I (BU) am either confirming my call, or changing it; not having the PU appear to overturn my call by announcing his ruling on the appeal.

There is no good way on this play; PU has the tag, but generally unable to get close enough, along with expecting a possible play at the plate. BU doesn't have tag responsibility, but has an apparent play back into third. make your (safe) call, then get together.
This is why Steve is a top-notch umpire.....
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This is why Steve is a top-notch umpire.....
No it's not.

He does this BECAUSE he is a top-notch umpire.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 AT THIRD BASE as R1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?
My job (make the call on the tag).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Most mechanics I know, the PU has responsibility for the tag at 3rd and for a first play if the throw is from the outfield. Does "lone runner" override that?