The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tag up at third (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90200-tag-up-third.html)

DRJ1960 Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:06pm

Tag up at third

R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 AT THIRD BASE as R1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

Yes, this happened to me yesterday :)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 833920)
R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 as B1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

F5 is covering home? This scenario makes no sense. B1 slides into where late? How can B1 leave early or late, she's the batter.

pob14 Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:19pm

I was taught never to guess an out. If you're not sure she's out, she's safe. (Mike, I'm picturing the OP as saying that R1 was returning to third.)

MNBlue Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:22pm

Quote:

R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 as B1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

I'm guessing that what you are not saying is that when F7 throws the ball to F5, F5 is at third base and did not tag R1 prior to R1 sliding into 3B.

So, it is either a live ball appeal with an out or it is a safe at 3B.

And your question is, "Who has the tag up responsibility at 3B with a lone runner?

Just guessing ... ;) :p

DRJ1960 Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pob14 (Post 833923)
I was taught never to guess an out. If you're not sure she's out, she's safe. (Mike, I'm picturing the OP as saying that R1 was returning to third.)

Messed up the last "R1" ...sorry

mdntranger Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:23pm

I'm going to assume that the OP means that R1 was sliding back into 3rd base after the catch was made (i.e. wouldn't have made it home regardless).

Initially, you'd have to ascertain whether the players were making an appeal on leaving early or a play on a runner off base (the no accidental appeal discussion). If the former, you weren't able to see whether they left early and therefore the initial call would be 'safe' pending any further discussions/information. If the latter, unless a tag was applied before the runner slide into 3rd, also 'safe'.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:23pm

Quote:

Then the ball needs to come to 3B. F5 could be standing anywhere. and it needs to be R1, not B1

AtlUmpSteve Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

I agree; I call that runner safe at third. I then call time to confer with my partner, because they have just made a live ball appeal, and the PU has that tag in 2 man, not me!!

When we leave the conference, I (BU) am either confirming my call, or changing it; not having the PU appear to overturn my call by announcing his ruling on the appeal.

There is no good way on this play; PU has the tag, but generally unable to get close enough, along with expecting a possible play at the plate. BU doesn't have tag responsibility, but has an apparent play back into third. make your (safe) call, then get together.

Andy Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 833930)
I agree; I call that runner safe at third. I then call time to confer with my partner, because they have just made a live ball appeal, and the PU has that tag in 2 man, not me!!

When we leave the conference, I (BU) am either confirming my call, or changing it; not having the PU appear to overturn my call by announcing his ruling on the appeal.

There is no good way on this play; PU has the tag, but generally unable to get close enough, along with expecting a possible play at the plate. BU doesn't have tag responsibility, but has an apparent play back into third. make your (safe) call, then get together.

This is why Steve is a top-notch umpire.....

MNBlue Fri Mar 23, 2012 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 833936)
This is why Steve is a top-notch umpire.....

No it's not. ;)

He does this BECAUSE he is a top-notch umpire. :D

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 23, 2012 05:00pm

Quote:

R1 on third. B1 hits a liner to F7. BU hustles inside from the "C". Turns to find the ball and hears "catch" from the PU. BU was not able to watch R1 as she left the base. Ball comes in to F5 AT THIRD BASE as R1 slides in a step late. (ie... IF she left early she is out. If a proper "tag-up" was made, the call is safe). What would you do?

My job (make the call on the tag).

CecilOne Fri Mar 23, 2012 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 833930)

Most mechanics I know, the PU has responsibility for the tag at 3rd and for a first play if the throw is from the outfield. Does "lone runner" override that?