The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA lineup (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89956-ncaa-lineup.html)

CecilOne Sun Mar 18, 2012 09:16am

NCAA lineup

NCAA umps,
How often have you had to enforce the inaccurate lineup rule?

Skahtboi Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:13am

Never.

derwil Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:49am

Never

RKBUmp Sun Mar 18, 2012 01:25pm

My daughters juco coach got busted twice in one game for not reporting position changes.

KJUmp Sun Mar 18, 2012 06:55pm

Nada

MNBlue Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52am

Once. Coach put nickname of player instead of first name. Other coach called her on it. We called her out after she got a hit. Offensive coach was obviously irate.

We sent the scenario to Dee and she said we ruled correctly.

A friend of mine had the coach put 51 instead of 15. Other coach caught it and waited for an opportune time to bring it up.

Rich Ives Mon Mar 19, 2012 08:42am

RKBump: You have to report position changes?

MNBlue: If I put "Cassie Smith" instead of "Cassandra Smith" on the lineup it's a violation?

Is the softball world that nuts?

And folks wonder why I "ignore" the issues on the SB side of our league.

MNBlue Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 833021)

MNBlue: If I put "Cassie Smith" instead of "Cassandra Smith" on the lineup it's a violation?

Actually, she put Boomer instead of Jessica.

NCAA requires defensive position changes to be reported.

Andy Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 832870)
My daughters juco coach got busted twice in one game for not reporting position changes.

Why does this not surprise me.....and I'm sure he had a lot to say about it....

RKBUmp Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:40am

Quote:

As stated, NCAA requires all defensive position changes to be reported. I am told it is for statistics keeping purposes so that the propper players get credit for put outs, errors etc.

Coach was just being dumb, they were run ruling the other team and he just started moving girls all over the field and not reporting it.

RKBUmp Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 833035)
Why does this not surprise me.....and I'm sure he had a lot to say about it....

Once again Im sure you know exactly who Im talking about. And yes, he had plenty to say.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Mar 19, 2012 09:52am

Whether it is at work or doing games, I just hate "Gotcha". I do not believe the spirit of the game should allow this. Who cares if she writes Boomer or Jessica, the correct last name and the number. I know who she is and so do both coaches. I know the rules and will call them accordingly. But I still think it's wrong.

RKBUmp Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 833043)
Whether it is at work or doing games, I just hate "Gotcha". I do not believe the spirit of the game should allow this. Who cares if she writes Boomer or Jessica, the correct last name and the number. I know who she is and so do both coaches. I know the rules and will call them accordingly. But I still think it's wrong.

While I tend to agree, the coaches are suppose to fill out the lineup card accurately and as required by the rules. If they choose to hand in an inaccurate lineup and get called on a "gotcha" it is their own fault and they will know better next time.

BretMan Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:50am

Quote:

No, just the NCAA softball world- where the inmates run the asylum (that is, the coaches have a heavy influence on the rules committee and regularly push through goofy stuff like this, usually because on some perceived slight they suffered during the regular season).

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 833024)
NCAA requires defensive position changes to be reported.

Considering that the actual spots on the field played by the various positions (other than pitcher and catcher) are not defined - how in the world could this be enforced? What's the penalty? What if I move my CF into the infield (or my 2B out to the outfield) and use an unorthodox lineup for a batter for whatever reason?

Blue: Coach - you switched your 2B and SS without telling me.
Coach: That's where we put our SS - on the right side of the bag.