The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Ahem....according to Ohio Code 4513.03, the time to turn on headlights is AT sunset and until sunrise, and at anytime when conditions warrant the use of windshield wipers.

I am 60 years old and when I first took the driving test to get my license in Ohio, when I was a mere 16 year old whippersnapper, the law was from 30 minutes before sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise, , LOL.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Dang Ohio Republications, they changed the law because they is against safety, LOL.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 03:26pm. Reason: Add P.S.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Irish:

I don't believe it paints me into a corner. I have never had a complaint later in the game when I have said that it is too dark to play once sunset had arrived.
I have seen umpires offer "soft warnings" about darkness using times and have seen teams rebel if the game ended before that time or ran past that time. It didn't make any difference how soft or vague it was, all they heard was the time.

I have had to rule on protested games more than once based upon what the umpire said before the game.

You may have a good situation, but I can guarantee it is not universal

Quote:
There is a reason that all of the states have the requirement that I alluded to in my original post, and that is that studies have shown that vehicles are difficult to see as sunset approaches. It really does not matter if the diamond is or is not surrounded by trees and buildings. If one is required to have the lights on his car on so that others can see his vehicle then that is a pretty good indicator that it is too dark to see other much smaller objects.

MTD, Sr.
I understand what you are saying and that you are hedging to the early side.

However, as a general statement, EVERYTHING affects the visibility on a ball field and you cannot put a time to it.