The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Calling a Game Due to Darkness

Had an interesting situation last night during a junior legion game. Home team leading going into the top of the 7th 7 - 6. Visitors score 6 runs in a twenty minute top of the 7th. During warm ups, the visiting catcher had a ball get past him and he said, "It's getting tough to see." I immediately called both managers together and suspended the game.

When we reviewed the Legion Constitution, a game is considered official after 4 1/2 innings if the home team is ahead and after 5 innings if the visitors are ahead. Once beyond 5 innings, a game is considered "official" if the game is called due to the elements (darkness in this case). No provision is made for the home team batting in such a case. Immediately the home team manager pointed to the fact that his catcher just caught for 20 minutes without and issue.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it revert back to the previous inning since the HT did not get to complete its final at-bat? So, the HT wins, correct? So why would he be complaining? Who cares what his F2 did? It wasn't dark while he was catching. If they didn't waste 20 minutes, he would have a chance to hit and win.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

In most leagues, if you cannot complete an inning then the game is considered finished from the end of the last complete inning (unless the home team has taken the lead). Some even go so far as to put forth rules for this particular situation when the visitor takes the lead in the top of the inning but are unable to finish the bottom, then could then be suspended.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

They game ends when you call it.

The safety of the players comes before any rule about when a game is complete or not.

Coach this is the final inning. Make a decision and stick with it. If it happens after 2, 3 ,4 ,5 , well that is for the league to figure out.

Bottom line, I never really pay attention to that rule because it ends, when I say it ends.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 06:27pm
Veteran College Umpire

A lesson I learned very early on in my umping career is "never assume you'll have a quick inning". You think, "The home team is up by 9 runs, so I'll let the visitors bat one more time because they'll be happy I didn't force them to end it early". Bad move. Be proactive - get the coaches together EARLY and let them know "this will be the last inning", and do your best to do that before the TOP of an inning. Always be thinking "if the visitors score enough to force the BOTTOM half of the inning, will we be able to finish THAT half inning?"
Always better to end the game earlier than be trapped into ending it later. Besides, you'll be erring on the side of safety.
Just MHO

JJ
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
They game ends when you call it.

The safety of the players comes before any rule about when a game is complete or not.

Coach this is the final inning. Make a decision and stick with it. If it happens after 2, 3 ,4 ,5 , well that is for the league to figure out.

Bottom line, I never really pay attention to that rule because it ends, when I say it ends.
Now there is a man that knows his craft!
Absolutely correct and as far as the game goes, it is up to the league to settle. The umpires end the game for safety's sake.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Had an interesting situation last night during a junior legion game. Home team leading going into the top of the 7th 7 - 6. Visitors score 6 runs in a twenty minute top of the 7th. During warm ups, the visiting catcher had a ball get past him and he said, "It's getting tough to see." I immediately called both managers together and suspended the game.

When we reviewed the Legion Constitution, a game is considered official after 4 1/2 innings if the home team is ahead and after 5 innings if the visitors are ahead. Once beyond 5 innings, a game is considered "official" if the game is called due to the elements (darkness in this case). No provision is made for the home team batting in such a case. Immediately the home team manager pointed to the fact that his catcher just caught for 20 minutes without and issue.
This very confusing. Visitors just scored 6 runs in a 20 min inning and visiting catcher is out during warmups. I assume you meant home catcher and the reason he is mentioning light is he hopes the game will revert back to end of last inning and home team wins.

I don't know about the league constitution, but normally this game would be suspended and finished another date, since the visitors took the lead, game was called and home team did not get to bat.

I worked a HS suspended game this year where this happened, except it was rain that stopped the original game. I worked only 4 outs to complete the game. Game meant nothing to home team, playoff implications to the visitors (I still don't think they made it in with the win).

Last edited by DG; Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 07:06pm.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
This very confusing. Visitors just scored 6 runs in a 20 min inning and visiting catcher is out during warmups. I assume you meant home catcher and the reason he is mentioning light is he hopes the game will revert back to end of last inning and home team wins.
No, the visitors just scored 6 runs to take the lead, made their 3rd out, and now the visitors are in the field, and the moronic visitor's catcher can't see well enough to get 3 more outs so his team can get a come-from-behind win.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
No, the visitors just scored 6 runs to take the lead, made their 3rd out, and now the visitors are in the field, and the moronic visitor's catcher can't see well enough to get 3 more outs so his team can get a come-from-behind win.
Oh, I got it now, visiting catcher is now catching and he thinks game will be called without home team batting and they win...
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Steve,

You got it regarding the visitor's catcher stating he couldn't see. Here is the exact wording from the Constitution (note it does not mention reverting):

“Official” games that do not reach the standard seven innings due to the elements are considered complete and will brecorded in the division standings as a win, loss or tie."
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Wouldn't it revert back to the previous inning since the HT did not get to complete its final at-bat? So, the HT wins, correct? So why would he be complaining? Who cares what his F2 did? It wasn't dark while he was catching. If they didn't waste 20 minutes, he would have a chance to hit and win.
Here is the wording from the Constitution. It makes no mention of reverting.

“Official” games that do not reach the standard seven innings due to the elements are considered complete and will be recorded in the division standings as a win, loss or tie.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 08:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Steve,

You got it regarding the visitor's catcher stating he couldn't see. Here is the exact wording from the Constitution (note it does not mention reverting):

“Official” games that do not reach the standard seven innings due to the elements are considered complete and will brecorded in the division standings as a win, loss or tie."
It says that unless stated in the American Legion Rules, Major League rules are used. Since it doesn't say anything about the score reverting in the Legion Rules, then you go by OBR. You record it in the standings as a win for the HOME team, as by rule, the score reverts to the previous inning. If it were tied, then it's a tie, but otherwise it's a win if the home team was ahead the previous inning.

I would take that to the highest authority. No way would I let the visitors win, as they did not earn it.

2009 AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL RULES

American Legion Baseball (both Senior and Junior Legion Teams) shall be played in accordance with rules adopted by the National Americanism Commission of The American Legion. With only a few exceptions, all department (state) and national tournaments will follow the Official Baseball Rules as authorized by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball.

Changes to the Official Baseball Rules may be made by the National Americanism Commission and are noted in Rule 1 of the American Legion Baseball rules. These rules generally pertain to matters of safety, equipment and insurance and are made with the welfare of the players in mind. These rules may be further modified by the departments (states) for regular season play only and cannot conflict with national rules.

All national tournaments will follow rules established by The American Legion’s National Americanism Commission.

Both Senior and Junior teams shall follow these rules with a few exceptions for Junior Legion Baseball, which shall be marked in Green.

Senior American Legion Baseball shall be a 19 and under program.

Junior American Legion Baseball shall be a 17 and under program.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

There is NO provision under OBR for the score to revert to anything.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

OBR 4.12: "(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for . . . (4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on."

I thought the score of a regulation game would revert to the end of the last completed inning too, but I cannot find any rule support under OBR. But that is the rule for Fed baseball (4-2-3) and softball. See BRD 440.

Last edited by Paul L; Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 03:16am.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

I don't announce "last inning" or anything like that. I don't care what the score is, who's ahead, or how much time the inning (or half-inning) might take. When there is not enough light to play safely (in MY judgment), I call it. Let someone else figure out who won. I don't care about that either.