View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb It's your responsibility to see the zone.

The only strike zone that I could imagine, of which you wouldn't be able to see the top, is for a 7 foot plus tall batter, in a slow pitch game. Strike zones are not 5 foot high. You should be able to get into a position and see the top of the zone.

Often when I have difficulty, is when the catcher sets up with his head directly in line with the inside edge. My response in the past has been to talk to the catcher. ("I can't call the strikes on the inside edge of the plate if I can't see them. If you can move it will make my job a lot easier.") A few of them recognize my difficult position and will adjust toward the center of the plate. Some are just oblivious.

Rather than call balls to punish the defense, (Which is not what I want; I want to call strikes.) I stand taller with a view above the catcher's head more towards the center of the plate. This allows me to see the entire plate and the entire flight of the ball. As the batter gets set, I might squat to what I feel will be the top of the zone and create a muscle memory for that position; then I stand back up to see the pitch being released. I only drop down as the pitch arrives and I drop to a position away from the catcher's head so I can still see the plate and the catch being made. Having arrived late, I tend to hold this position a little longer also. This is not a great stable mechanic but it seems to be the best I can do to work around dopey, large catchers, and get the best look at the pitch. Being able to see the flight of the ball gives me an additional clue as to where it will cross the plate. (in or out of the zone)

I want to call strikes as often as I can.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Jun 9th, 2003 at 11:42 AM]