The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Had a 15U game tonight. After the visitors bat in the first, the home coach comes up to me and says "You don't call the pitches on the corners"? I say "If she hits the corner, I'll call it". Then he says, "She's hitting them, you're not calling them". I say, "That's enough coach". As he's walking away, about halfway down to the 3rd base coaches box, he turns and points at me and says, "You BETTER call them both ways". That's when I tossed him.

It's bad enough he's arguing balls/strikes, but arguing about pitches that haven't even been thrown yet?

My partner informs me later that his daughter was the pitcher.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

"My partner informs me later that his (coach) daughter was the pitcher."

Imagine that; it's always the parent of a particular player that gives you the most grief.
You did good, running his butt right then. I'm sure it probably made for a better game, at least for you, if no one else.

Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
Had a 15U game tonight. After the visitors bat in the first, the home coach comes up to me and says "You don't call the pitches on the corners"? I say "If she hits the corner, I'll call it". Then he says, "She's hitting them, you're not calling them". I say, "That's enough coach". As he's walking away, about halfway down to the 3rd base coaches box, he turns and points at me and says, "You BETTER call them both ways". That's when I tossed him.

It's bad enough he's arguing balls/strikes, but arguing about pitches that haven't even been thrown yet?

My partner informs me later that his daughter was the pitcher.
With me, he never would have made it to the "BETTER call them both ways" part. The point put him in my sight and the "you" pulled the trigger.

Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Weak Dixie Rules

Mike,

As Dixie umpires, we are limited by a weak set of Dixie rules relating to conduct and sportsmanship. By rule, the only automatic ejection is for profanity or throwing equipment. Any other conduct or sportsmanship ejection must be preceded with a warning. The Dixie rulebook for boys is better written and clearly states the penalties for conduct and sportsmanship.

BTW, AB did you call at SW or EM last night?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

abz, I did warn him.
Quote:
I say, "That's enough coach".
And it was at EM.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

AB, my post was for IRISHMAFIA (Mike Rowe) because he stated "With me, he never would have made it to the 'BETTER call them both ways' part. The point put him in my sight and the 'you' pulled the trigger."

I knew "enough" was your warning and the second comment from the coach was his ejection.

In all the other associations, they can eject if a coach argues balls and strikes.

IMHO, the ejection was justified and probably improved the game! Did he expect 6 inches on both sides of the plate?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If a coach says "You..." to me during a argument after s/he has been warned had better follow that up with something like "Are the best umpire I have ever seen.".

You did good......Hope the Coach enjoyed the view from the parking lot.

Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"You BETTER call them both ways".
Gawd, I hate this phrase!

This is doing nothing but questioning my integrity as a sports official. He is implying that I am cheating for one team.

This phrase gets minimum a warning if I haven't received any other grief and maximum an ejection.

Good job dumping this guy!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Heh, oops, thought you were talking to me...

JF just called me and said I should have called him last night, I guess I should have, but he said he thought I might have been a little quick, but he supports me and won't 2nd guess what happened. I guess that's good. On the other hand, I'm scheduled to call at AUM tonight, the same team that had a coach tossed on Monday night, so he said he's probably going to move me.

If Monday would have not happened, the coach last night probably would have made it through the game, but Monday night I took WAY more crap than I should have, and I didn't want a repeat.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Angry

If any assigner is moving umpires around because they had a coach ejected and so did the upcoming team, he is irresponsible and undercutting the moved umpire.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

With me, he never would have made it to the "BETTER call them both ways" part. The point put him in my sight and the "you" pulled the trigger.
Does everyone believe he is as tough as he says?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heh, oops, thought you were talking to me...

JF just called me and said I should have called him last night, I guess I should have, but he said he thought I might have been a little quick, but he supports me and won't 2nd guess what happened. I guess that's good. On the other hand, I'm scheduled to call at AUM tonight, the same team that had a coach tossed on Monday night, so he said he's probably going to move me.
I'm not sure what happened on Monday, but yesterday's ejection was both warranted and timely. It almost sounds like your assignor is questioning your ability to approach every game as a new day.

The few times that I have dumped someone, when asked about the next assignment for them, I have always stated that I won't (and don't) look for trouble, but I refuse to walk on egg shells too. Never had any trouble.

-Kono
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm the one that ejected him Monday. The previous 2 years I've eject 2 coaches. This week I got 2.

Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I'm the one that ejected him Monday. The previous 2 years I've eject 2 coaches. This week I got 2.
Like I said - every game is a new day. Don't avoid the confrontation. Don't look for trouble, but don't walk on egg shells.

JMHO

-Kono
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, I feel the same why. I would have no problem staying objective for the game, and I told the assigner that. He said he'd look at the schedule and get back with me, didn't say for sure that he was going to move me.