The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

bases loaded, infield in, grounder hit to right side hits back og runners foot in-between 1st and 2nd but behind the second baseman. Is ball dead or alive? Would runner be out and all runners moved back to start of play except for the batter now is at first base and the runer going to second who was hit is out?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bumz44
bases loaded, infield in, grounder hit to right side hits back og runners foot in-between 1st and 2nd but behind the second baseman. Is ball dead or alive? Would runner be out and all runners moved back to start of play except for the batter now is at first base and the runer going to second who was hit is out?
Speaking ASA

From your description, it seems the ball passed F4. Unless the umpire judged that another fielder had the possibility of making an out on the play, the ball remains live.

Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

I forget the rule number and sections and such in the ASA rule book, so I'm winging it, but I think I got it.

Since the runner was hit with the ball BEHIND the second baseman, the ball is live. The play continues. I'm unsure if the second baseman having a chance to make a play on the ball has anything to do with it or not (rule book in the car), but I don't think it does.

If the runner was hit with the ball BEFORE the second baseman, the ball is dead. The batter receives first (scored a fielder's choice), a run scores, and there is a runner on third since all were forced.

I think I got it.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mike you are quick to the gun on these things. I guess I type too much.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
I forget the rule number and sections and such in the ASA rule book, so I'm winging it, but I think I got it.

Since the runner was hit with the ball BEHIND the second baseman, the ball is live. The play continues. I'm unsure if the second baseman having a chance to make a play on the ball has anything to do with it or not (rule book in the car), but I don't think it does.

If the runner was hit with the ball BEFORE the second baseman, the ball is dead. The batter receives first (scored a fielder's choice), a run scores, and there is a runner on third since all were forced.

I think I got it.
Have you been hanging around with that Westmoreland County group?

Just kidding.

If the runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball prior to passing an infielder other than the pitcher, the runner is out, the BR is awarded 1B and all other runners return to the base last touched at the time of the interference unless forced to move up due to the BR's award. In this scenario, R3 is out, B4 awarded 1B and R1 & R2 remain on 3B & 2B respectively. No runs score unless R1 crossed the plate prior to R3 being hit with the ball.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Westmoreland County Group? Fill me in on that one.

Quote:
If the runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball prior to passing an infielder other than the pitcher, the runner is out, the BR is awarded 1B and all other runners return to the base last touched at the time of the interference unless forced to move up due to the BR's award. In this scenario, R3 is out, B4 awarded 1B and R1 & R2 remain on 3B & 2B respectively. No runs score unless R1 crossed the plate prior to R3 being hit with the ball.
I'm watching Goldfinger right now. Wasn't really reading carefully.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile thanx!!

as a coach i do thank all of you for your quick and accurate answers.....
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn ... snip ...
I'm watching Goldfinger right now. ... snip ...
Do you introduce yourself as "Palko, John Palko"?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil, I do that occasionally. I also try and throw my hat like Oddjob but unfortunately cannot. Unfortunately, the luck with the ladies isn't that great.