The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

ESF Rule test 2012 Q16

Although I mostly ask feedback from you all over true situations I have experienced and do my own homework (as in the rule test every year), I'm puzzled by this T/F-question:

Situation:
Batter hits a line drive that, after being deflected by F4, hits the base umpire standing behind the fielder and then caught on the fly by F9. Is that a legal catch?

The situation itself is kinda strange/not real to me.
Covering the ISF ruleset, I've found the rules 8.1.e / 8.5.f1 and 9.2.d-e stating that it's a fair batted ball. By rule 8.2.b it's not a catch.
So my question to you is; what is it?
It's not a legal catch, but a fair batted ball. How do we treat this?
Clearly for my test the answer is "False"; not a legal catch (rule 8.2.b). However what do we as umpire's signal and how do we explain the defense team that F9 has caught the ball illegally? Does this mean that F9 has to throw the ball to 1st base on order to get an out if ball beats the batter-runner?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Although I mostly ask feedback from you all over true situations I have experienced and do my own homework (as in the rule test every year), I'm puzzled by this T/F-question:

Situation:
Batter hits a line drive that, after being deflected by F4, hits the base umpire standing behind the fielder and then caught on the fly by F9. Is that a legal catch?

The situation itself is kinda strange/not real to me.
Covering the ISF ruleset, I've found the rules 8.1.e / 8.5.f1 and 9.2.d-e stating that it's a fair batted ball. By rule 8.2.b it's not a catch.
So my question to you is; what is it?
It's not a legal catch, but a fair batted ball. How do we treat this?
Clearly for my test the answer is "False"; not a legal catch (rule 8.2.b). However what do we as umpire's signal and how do we explain the defense team that F9 has caught the ball illegally? Does this mean that F9 has to throw the ball to 1st base on order to get an out if ball beats the batter-runner?
It is treated the same as any other batted ball not caught in flight. In this case, the umpire is treated the same as dirt.

You shouldn't need to explain anything, that's been a rule that I can document back to, at least, 1936. A fly ball cannot be legally caught for an out if it touches anything other than another defender.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It is treated the same as any other batted ball not caught in flight. In this case, the umpire is treated the same as dirt.

You shouldn't need to explain anything, that's been a rule that I can document back to, at least, 1936. A fly ball cannot be legally caught for an out if it touches anything other than another defender.
Thanks for the quick response, Irish! Over here it's 13.30h right now, I didn't think anyone from the US would read this so early in the morning...

So, it's a hit (or better: batted ball) that should be handled as a grounder. Fielders can make an out on a force play. Funny that this didn't come up to me earlier. Probably caused by the catch by F9.

b.t.w.: Have you ever seen a play like this in your (>40yr?) experience?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response, Irish! Over here it's 13.30h right now, I didn't think anyone from the US would read this so early in the morning...

So, it's a hit (or better: batted ball) that should be handled as a grounder. Fielders can make an out on a force play. Funny that this didn't come up to me earlier. Probably caused by the catch by F9.

Signaling and stating "no catch" will go a tremendous way to help eliminate confusion. However, many codes don't have this preventitive mechanic in their manual so check with your UIC before using it.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Once. My partner wasn't expecting the deflection coming his way and just put his head down and bent over. The ball went off F4's glove, hit him on the back of his right shoulder and stayed up long enough for F6 (who was already heading that way) to catch it. While the player celebrated the catch, R1 reached 2B & the BR, 1B. I did provide a "safe" signal from my holding area.

They weren't happy, as it was quite a heads up play, but it is what it is.