The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Another ASA test question

50. In the Two Umpire System with R1 on second base, B2 hits a fly ball to F8, who makes the catch. Which of the following
statements is correct?
A: The base umpire has the tag-up at second base and the plate umpire has the play on R1 at third base.
B: The plate umpire has the tag-up at second base and the play on R1 at third base.
C: The plate umpire has the tag-up at second base and the base umpire has the play on R1 at third base.
D: The base umpire has the tag-up at second base and the play on R1 at third base.

The 2011 Umpire Manual, on page 259:

There are four times a base umpire will make a call at third base:
1. On the B-R on a triple with no runners on base.
2. On the last runner into third base.
3. On a lone runner on fly ball advancement.
4. On any return throw from the plate area or a cut-off by a player.

This year's manual, on page 258 has the scenario for a runner on second base only -Fast Pitch:

Fly ball to the outfield:
P- Move out from behind the plate to get the best angle and distance possible. Responsible for fair/foul, catch or no catch, any play on the lead runner at 3B and any play at the plate.
B- Choose to go to the outfield to make the call or hustle inside the diamond toward 1B, buttonhook, pick up the ball and glance at the runner. Responsible for the tag up at 2B, any play at 1B, or 2B and the last runner to 3B.

The Umpire Manual section seems different this year. Was the between inning mechanics inadvertently omitted?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my 2012 rule book yet, but if what you quoted from it is exactly what appears then they must have at least revised the format.

As for the test question, you can toss out B & C since the base umpire has the tag up with only one runner on second. That just leaves the question, "Who has the play at third?".

I always took the phrase "on fly ball advancement" to mean specifically if it is a caught fly ball and tag up, as opposed to a runner advancing on a base hit-type fly ball. If you have an active, "unretired" batter-runner running the bases, wouldn't you want the base umpire to have his attention on him? Whereas, if the batter-runner was out on the catch, all the base umpire has to do is slide over a few feet to cover the play at third, with the plate umpire staying home in case the play develops there.

Not having seen the 2012 manual, I would have to say the answer is D.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Do we have a catch? Who takes the appeal of the runner leaving early? Who takes the last runner?

[I realize I may have been too vague. If you the answers to those questions, you have the answer to the question.]

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Sun Feb 05, 2012 at 11:56pm.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my 2012 book yet, either. However, I don't believe the mechanic has changed. Whenever they've talked about the "lead runner," they're usually talking about situations in which there are multiple runners.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I don't have my 2012 book yet, either. However, I don't believe the mechanic has changed. Whenever they've talked about the "lead runner," they're usually talking about situations in which there are multiple runners.
Base umpire always has the single runner in this situation for every base, but home.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

B.

Lone runner is not a lead runner. To have a lead runner that PU must cover at 3rd, there must be a trail runner that the BU has responsibility for.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
B.

Lone runner is not a lead runner. To have a lead runner that PU must cover at 3rd, there must be a trail runner that the BU has responsibility for.
Ahh....I believe that would be D.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Ahh....I believe that would be D.
Yeah, typo, my bad. Meant B. as indicated by the explanation.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlumpsteve View Post
yeah, typo, my bad. Meant b. As indicated by the explanation.

:d
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I never thought it made much sense that ASA makes the base umpire responsible for both the tag up appeal at 2nd base and the tag play at 3rd base. Why ASA doesn't divide up the responsibility is beyond me. The plate umpire is doing practically nothing on a ball hit to center field.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I never thought it made much sense that ASA makes the base umpire responsible for both the tag up appeal at 2nd base and the tag play at 3rd base. Why ASA doesn't divide up the responsibility is beyond me. The plate umpire is doing practically nothing on a ball hit to center field.
So that there is an umpire at the base in front of the runner at the priority base. It isn't that difficult.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

So then have the plate umpire cover 3rd base.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
So then have the plate umpire cover 3rd base.
Any who is covering home which is the priority?
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would not agree with calling home plate the priority in that situation. I think that 3rd base is the priority.

Let's take care of 3rd base before we pour all of our energy into standing around home plate for a "maybe" call.

If there was an additional runner on 3rd base, obviously this would change my opinion.

Realistically speaking, if R2 is in a "tagging up" position, the odds on R2 scoring are poor.

I would prefer to have the base umpire get a good position to watch the tag and have the plate umpire be up the line in foul territory awaiting the throw. Should the play develop, the plate umpire can step into the calling position and make the call. If the plate umpire sees that the play won't develop (either no throw or an obviously errant throw), then the plate umpire can retreat to home plate. The plate umpire retreats in a similar fashion when there are runners on 1st and 2nd on the same type of play, so I don't accept "we don't want the plate umpire to have to run back home" to be a valid explanation.

I know that this is not what ASA has taught over the years. After years of using this mechanic in non-ASA games, I've found it to be beneficial and a better use of both umpires. It's at least worth some consideration.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

So if the throw to 3rd base gets away from the fielder and the runner breaks for home without stopping, what do you do? Bust your butt to home plate and hope you have enough time to get set to see a bang-bang play?

Good luck with selling that call.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.